Current Issues with System

Wanna know what we're doing and what's going on? Check it out here!
Unknown

Postby Unknown » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi Folks
Unfortunately there are some issues with the forum that cannot be solved easily. We can continue to post news, photo's etc but adding new users and changing permissions can only be done by myself changing the database.
This was something I notices when I was first looking through the site.
Over the next weeks I will be looking at how the various tables in the database link together with the view of moving us to another forum, poss PhPBB3.
If anyone has any preference for another forums then pleae let me know.
The current Vanilla one has very few utils to move to a different forum installation.
Dave
Unknown

Postby Unknown » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:13 am

Hmmmmm I'm not sure what another forum i can recommend... The only one i know of is http://www.invisionfree.com/features/ that's free and you can get themes, codes, support ect for free too http://if.invisionfree.com/index/

but i think there would be better much places to check out..

I will have a snoop around..

~FTC
Unknown

Postby Unknown » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:52 pm

FoxTailedCritter: That would require us to move off our own hosting, and unfortunately the self-hosted version of IP.Board is something in the order of $150 these days. I think with Marc being here, he wants to be able to self-host it, and I think that's the best option for us. (Keeps Furstralia ad-free, too.)

We used to be on phpBB3, and I didn't think that was necessarily a bad thing, apart from the fact that it didn't have a bug/security patch update in about 18 months. (To be fair though, they finally put out a new patch last month.)

I never had any problem with phpBB3 besides this, and I wonder how many of us actually bother(ed) to use the "sign in with Twitter/Facebook/G+" option that was trumpeted as one of the big reasons to move over to Vanilla.

I'm not really fussed where we go, although I can understand the "anything but Vanilla" feeling. I had a look at the backend too and although it's not horrible it's pretty featureless at the moment - it's meant for more lightweight discussion places than we are. :)
Unknown

Postby Unknown » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:50 pm

Self hosting is not a big issue at the moment. I've already paid the next year's hosting so staying here is fine. It's just the forum is almost unmanageable behind the scenes.

What I have done to date is to take a dump of the current forum database file and I can then look at writing scripts to transfer all users, posts, etc to a new system.

That way there will minimum disruption to current users.

Take care

Marc
Unknown

Postby Unknown » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:52 pm

The other things with Phpbb3 is that there is a very active community behind it and loads of plugins.

I did do an update on Vanilla hoping to fix some of the issues but no go.

I'll keep you all upto date :)

Marc
Unknown

Postby Unknown » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:28 pm

Thanks.
Unknown

Postby Unknown » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Appreciate all your efforts marcwolf!
Unknown

Postby Unknown » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:17 pm

PS - Marcwolf, it appears that it's your username specifically that I'm unable to send PMs to.
Unknown

Postby Unknown » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:49 pm

I'll try and find out what is happening :)

thanks
Unknown

Postby Unknown » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:30 am

Righto! We've tried this system for a while, and we have had a look at the Vanilla based workings of a forum.

Many of you agree it looks nice, but it's not practical for what we're trying to do.

I have talked to MarcWolf, and we both agree that the forums would be better using a different program. He's been doing a lot of background work for me which I'm sincerely thankful for, and we shall be looking into upgrading the system.

This will mean that the forums will be in a 'read only' mode, or at worst case, inaccessible for a few days while we do migration.

We will give a date as soon as we find out what that is, but sooner is better than later. There may be a few hitches, but I do know how PHPBB (the new forum system) works much better than the Vanilla one user interface-wise.

If you have any questions, please ask me! I'm very happy to answer any questions.