Promoting Furstralia - yes/no and how?

Wanna know what we're doing and what's going on? Check it out here!
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Goat

Promoting Furstralia - yes/no and how?

Postby Wererstritchy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:38 pm

I personally am against the idea of promoting Furstralia as an admin of it. This is largely because I am an Admin, and don't really like mixing my social life and responsibilities so much.

HOWEVER, Furstralia does deserve to be noticed, so I'm asking those present whether this is a good idea, and if so, how to do it.

I have a few ideas.

1. Make a facebook page for Furstralia and promoting top monthly posts, or when it gets busier, the weekly post to put up.

2. Putting things under my name so people can subtly see that I am an admin of Furstralia.

3. Doing art in my Gallery every now again to, not-so-subtly plug for Furstralia.

I need opinions. No doubt, this will take a while to build up, but I'm looking out for ideas none-the-less.
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: ►Vampire fox

Re: Promoting Furstralia - yes/no and how?

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Wed May 06, 2015 3:43 pm

Not quite sure what to say that will help get more furs to use this site, but I think we do need to get the word out there somehow or this site might be in risk of dying. (No offense meant) but there isn't many users on here as is... Still if there is anyway I can help do shoot me a PM & I'll try to help in anyway. Wishing you the best of luck.

~Fox
Everything you say or do has ripple effects....
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Pingu
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Little Penguin

Postby Pingu » Tue May 19, 2015 8:15 pm

Hate to say it, but forum rebuild and promoting a bit better via FA?

I'd be more than happy to add a signature to all of my posts on FA promoting the site
Rule 1: The Penguin is ALWAYS RIGHT
Rule 2: If the Penguin is wrong, refer to Rule 1
Furrhan Blackwood
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!
Species: Eastern Quoll

Postby Furrhan Blackwood » Thu May 21, 2015 11:37 am

I think the simple fact is that people aren't going to join or use the forum if they don't know it's here. I think promotion is therefore essential.

I think also that if you made more of the forum visible when you're not logged in then you'd get more members because I think people like to know what they're getting into. At the moment all you can see when you're not logged in is a thread that says "we're having issues" and another thread that says "we've been here a long time". That makes the forums look either under construction or redevelopment, or like we've something to hide, both of which I know simply aren't true, and neither of which are attractive or welcoming.
To draw people in you need to seem open and welcoming.

Promotion needs to do two things - it needs to give people a reason to come to the site and it needs to give them a reason to stay here. It's also important that the site reflects the ad. At the moment there's nothing to catch people's interest when they get here so they aren't going to make an account because it doesn't appear they're going to get anything from the site. It''s also important to give people an impression of activity because no one wants to join a dead forum. To that end I'd suggest cleaning up the portal so that announcements from 2014 and before don't show up. I'd also advise updating your team of staff. People want the staff on forums to be active and involved because they want to know there's someone there they can go to for help. If a staff member hasn't logged on or posted in several months or several years than, extenuating circumstances barring, I'd question if they should still be on the team. You could neaten up the index page too. Things like "The Dark And Light Side" forum could be merged with the "Anything Else" forum, "Major Meets and Conventions" could be turned into a subforum in the "Meets and Conventions" forum and dead or empty forums like the "Roleplaying" or "Fursuit Accessories" forums could be removed or hidden until there's demand for them again. The less stuff you can put on the index page the better because the more organised and streamlined the place will feel. I'd also suggest making the adult section visible/accessible only to those 18 and over if it's not already just to avoid any possible legal issues. I can't remember if I had to input my age when I signed up or not...

I also think the profiles could be updated a bit. Some of the websites listed there no longer exist, and there's a lot of spaces on there for things that would become evident from talking to people on the forums anyway and that would be better discussed on the forums. There's also some spaces for more personal details that many people on-line might feel more comfortable keeping private. I think the idea of a profile on a site like this, given that this is a forum, is to give a quick snapshot of the person and maybe provide a few contact details. I think that because this is a forum and not a social networking site, despite the intent behind it, it should be treated as a forum and the profiles should reflect that.

I think I'm rambling a bit here so I'll stop but if you want to discuss any of these suggestions further then please don't hesitate to ask.
The long and short of what I'm saying is that I feel promotion is essential but in order for it to be effective we need to have a proper product to promote. This forums has great potential, I think. It's demonstrated that by surviving for so long. What it needs now is to be made more up-to-date, more professional, and more user-friendly. If you can achieve that and if you can promote it well, then I think we have a great recipe for success.

In terms of how to actually promote it, I think things like an official forum twitter/facebook/tumblr page run by forum staff could go a long way in this day and age. A FA page or a logo that one can put on their page on FA or Weasyl or other furry sites would also be beneficial. Just getting the name out there and getting people talking is important. Even a Youtube channel with promotional material and sharing videos of furry shenanigans would be great for raising awareness. Like I said though, before promotion can happen I think the forums desperately needs cleaning up.

So yeah. Those are my thoughts, honest and true. If you want to talk more about them feel free to message me any time, and if there's anything I can do to help either with promotion or with anything on the forums then please don't hesitate to ask. I do have a couple of years experience on forums now, including being on staff on one for over a year and counting so I'm confident I can help however needed.
Frostwood Forever! <3

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the incredible Rick Griffin and coloured by the amazing Arty Stu!
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: ►Vampire fox

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Sat May 30, 2015 3:47 pm

Wow Furrhan Blackwood, I %100 agree with you.
You brought up some great suggestions and idea's that are fantastic.
Everything you say or do has ripple effects....
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Furrhan Blackwood
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!
Species: Eastern Quoll

Postby Furrhan Blackwood » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:01 pm

Thanks, FTC! I appreciate the support! :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the incredible Rick Griffin and coloured by the amazing Arty Stu!
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Goat

Postby Wererstritchy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:41 pm

I have had a very large read of this, and appreciate your comment very much.

This is a well-thought out post, with lots of experience and logical conclusions which I support and agree with for the running of Furstralia.

I shall look into implementing these changes over the month of June, and considering how to further develop and make the forums be the forums we need it to be.

Thank you very much Furrhan. I look forward to seeing this site gradually improve.