FJ poll

Forum rules
DISCLAIMER:
Users organise and attend meets and conventions and share accommodation entirely at their own risk. Furstralia can take no responsibility or liability for any loss or damages which may occur during or as a result of attendance of those events or as a result of shared accommodation.

Read post for option details

Option 1
31%
Option 1
31%
Option 2
19%
Option 2
19%

Total votes: 118
Spi Cybershark
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Cybershark

Re: FJ poll

Postby Spi Cybershark » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm

I feel kinda torn and for the moment won't be voting for either. I think the sheer numbers would mean that it's going to be difficult to organise FurJam the way it has, certainly next year if not this one (I imagine it would be a tight squeeze into, say, the Legion Club this year, or many bars/pubs around), so perhaps the situation has to be addressed somehow.

But at the same time, the highlight for me has always been the Centennial Parklands meet - such a natural expanse can take quite a few more furs, and it's been such a relaxed atmosphere (apart from the people cooking the snags perhaps! :) ) - it would be a big shame to lose the innocent relaxed mood that FurJam has had.

So... I don't really know. Obviously others have better knowledge of how to run an event than I, but if there was a way of combining the two, that would be great. Keep in mind the logistics required to actually do something like that (how many shuttle bus trips to transfer as many as ~120 people?), though - it may be trickier than it sounds.
Spi Cybershark
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Cybershark

FJ poll

Postby Spi Cybershark » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:10 pm

I feel kinda torn and for the moment won't be voting for either. I think the sheer numbers would mean that it's going to be difficult to organise FurJam the way it has, certainly next year if not this one (I imagine it would be a tight squeeze into, say, the Legion Club this year, or many bars/pubs around), so perhaps the situation has to be addressed somehow.

But at the same time, the highlight for me has always been the Centennial Parklands meet - such a natural expanse can take quite a few more furs, and it's been such a relaxed atmosphere (apart from the people cooking the snags perhaps! :) ) - it would be a big shame to lose the innocent relaxed mood that FurJam has had.

So... I don't really know. Obviously others have better knowledge of how to run an event than I, but if there was a way of combining the two, that would be great. Keep in mind the logistics required to actually do something like that (how many shuttle bus trips to transfer as many as ~120 people?), though - it may be trickier than it sounds.
vixen
Contributer
Contributer
Species: Fox

Postby vixen » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:56 pm

I personally like the chill out 'meet' I've loved each year as varied as they have been, i've never hated any experience yet. The choice of pub last year was excellent, I hope we can go there again!! =D (although the rose was good, this one had more room and really good food!)

I was actually blown away by how many more people turned up last year compared to previous years, and I'm not sure yet if that number will coninue to rise or not? Or if it was a one off thing? It's hard to tell XD I think you should see how many people go this year and maybe even the year after before you consider making it a 'con' I think the biggest turn out for FJ is the pub meet the first night so bigger pub perhaps for future?.. centennial park will never get full (lol) and the evening function wasnt too full either, it could hold more, or another bigger function room can always be found ^___^

So all up... I vote to keep it chilled and fun like 2011, don't stress yourselves and have a nice relaxing event =D
vixen
Contributer
Contributer

FJ poll

Postby vixen » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:56 pm

I personally like the chill out 'meet' I've loved each year as varied as they have been, i've never hated any experience yet. The choice of pub last year was excellent, I hope we can go there again!! =D (although the rose was good, this one had more room and really good food!)

I was actually blown away by how many more people turned up last year compared to previous years, and I'm not sure yet if that number will coninue to rise or not? Or if it was a one off thing? It's hard to tell XD I think you should see how many people go this year and maybe even the year after before you consider making it a 'con' I think the biggest turn out for FJ is the pub meet the first night so bigger pub perhaps for future?.. centennial park will never get full (lol) and the evening function wasnt too full either, it could hold more, or another bigger function room can always be found ^___^

So all up... I vote to keep it chilled and fun like 2011, don't stress yourselves and have a nice relaxing event =D
Talinart
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Lynx

Postby Talinart » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:44 pm

I agree with Treemeadow and would have to say Option 1 is more appealing; organising a more formal event will be a lot of heartache to get off the ground in such a short period of time.

I do think that Jynx's idea of suggested event focal points (hotels, transport routes, etc.) would enable you to keep the flexibility of a meet but add some of the structure of a con.
That way if you want, you can stay at a common location and get all the additional networking that a convention offers, or only come to the main functions and still have a good time. Formalised transport to the various locations would probably be the killer - it always is in Sydney.

In the end, what I'm looking for (personally) is a chance to hang out and have a few laughs. To do that, all that is really needed is enough of us in the one place willing to have a good time. And maybe alcohol - lots of alcohol.

But like all things, change is inevitable - perhaps in the near future, FurJam will develop into a full convention. All good things come to those who wait.
Talinart
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Lynx

FJ poll

Postby Talinart » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:44 pm

I agree with Treemeadow and would have to say Option 1 is more appealing; organising a more formal event will be a lot of heartache to get off the ground in such a short period of time.

I do think that Jynx's idea of suggested event focal points (hotels, transport routes, etc.) would enable you to keep the flexibility of a meet but add some of the structure of a con.
That way if you want, you can stay at a common location and get all the additional networking that a convention offers, or only come to the main functions and still have a good time. Formalised transport to the various locations would probably be the killer - it always is in Sydney.

In the end, what I'm looking for (personally) is a chance to hang out and have a few laughs. To do that, all that is really needed is enough of us in the one place willing to have a good time. And maybe alcohol - lots of alcohol.

But like all things, change is inevitable - perhaps in the near future, FurJam will develop into a full convention. All good things come to those who wait.
Foxdale
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Foxdale » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks so much for all of your replies so far! All and any feedback is good, and i agree with all points. Furjam isn't quite ready to be a full fledged con and I don't think Australia is ready for 3 cons yet either. Also, i wouldn't know where to begin with running something equivalent to Midfur and Furdu. That's alot of work! XD

My idea of Furjam is the very relaxed atmosphere. If we did become a half con, or at least, have online rego/payment, we will never ever lose the relaxed atmosphere (with lots of fun and beer!). But anyway, its all just thoughts at the moment. Nothing is on paper. And Furjam could very well just end up rolling out similar to last year. If people don't mind that. :3

If anyone has any ideas for Furjam. Please feel free to post here, or email!
Foxdale
Newcomer
Newcomer

FJ poll

Postby Foxdale » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks so much for all of your replies so far! All and any feedback is good, and i agree with all points. Furjam isn't quite ready to be a full fledged con and I don't think Australia is ready for 3 cons yet either. Also, i wouldn't know where to begin with running something equivalent to Midfur and Furdu. That's alot of work! XD

My idea of Furjam is the very relaxed atmosphere. If we did become a half con, or at least, have online rego/payment, we will never ever lose the relaxed atmosphere (with lots of fun and beer!). But anyway, its all just thoughts at the moment. Nothing is on paper. And Furjam could very well just end up rolling out similar to last year. If people don't mind that. :3

If anyone has any ideas for Furjam. Please feel free to post here, or email!
AussieHusky
Contributer
Contributer
Species: Husky

Postby AussieHusky » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:53 pm

My biggest issue here would be,

FurJam has always been very much a Sydney con, we've always had far fewer interstate and international attendees than say, Midfur (Pre - con) and Rivfur, so being mostly Sydney people, there would be very very few people who would take up the central accommodation thing, though you might get some of the far North, South and West Sydfurs taking it up.

I've also always liked how low key FurJam is by comparison, and to be honest I don't think most furs have the budget for another major con, Most of us can't afford to do Midfur and FurDu in the same year unless we live in one of those cities.

Aussie
AussieHusky
Contributer
Contributer
Species: Husky

FJ poll

Postby AussieHusky » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:53 pm

My biggest issue here would be,

FurJam has always been very much a Sydney con, we've always had far fewer interstate and international attendees than say, Midfur (Pre - con) and Rivfur, so being mostly Sydney people, there would be very very few people who would take up the central accommodation thing, though you might get some of the far North, South and West Sydfurs taking it up.

I've also always liked how low key FurJam is by comparison, and to be honest I don't think most furs have the budget for another major con, Most of us can't afford to do Midfur and FurDu in the same year unless we live in one of those cities.

Aussie