We got a date for FurJam 2013 yet?

Forum rules
DISCLAIMER:
Users organise and attend meets and conventions and share accommodation entirely at their own risk. Furstralia can take no responsibility or liability for any loss or damages which may occur during or as a result of attendance of those events or as a result of shared accommodation.
Talinart
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Lynx

Postby Talinart » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Looks pretty good; I'll just have to investigate the parking situation at the park and at the bowlo.
As an additional benefit to changing the location of the park meet: we won't have to share the park, the surrounding roads and the car parking with the garden show and all the extra people it attracts.

Now the next problem... what to bring to the park for good natured shenanigans and general hijinks?

My thanks go to Spi for keeping Facebook avoiding curmudgeons like me still in the loop on this event.
kat_aclysm
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: It's pretty obvious

Postby kat_aclysm » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Hey guys,

Next time you have concerns, can you just bring them directly to me? I'm extremely worried at some of the commentary on this thread. I don't really use Furstralia any more since the layout changed, logging in doesn't work half the time and it hates me utterly.

The updates here are muchly appreciated though. We're still in the process of getting the event details up, I'm sorry if you guys are discontent with how late it is.

As for event growth - not actually keen on it. FurJam is already getting too big to comfortably fit us into most venues without going for the bigger stuff that can cost upwards of $2k a night to book.

Considering a 150 attendance cap for next year - opinions?
KaiAdin
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Housekitty

Postby KaiAdin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:16 pm

As for event growth - not actually keen on it. FurJam is already getting too big to comfortably fit us into most venues without going for the bigger stuff that can cost upwards of $2k a night to book.

[/quote]

Ahh, I didn't realize that was a consideration too, I defs understand, with the Sydney Fuzzy coffee meet, the previous cafe could only really handle 4-10 of us, and we'd really crowd it out with 15 peeps,

Now with the New "The meeting Point" which is actually a Cafe/ Taiwanese Restaurant, we can hold 20-30ish comfortably, but I do worry a bit when it gets over 25ish, it gets more rowdy, and there are DEFS not many places that can hold that amount, if the meetingpoint is unavailable!
kat_aclysm
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: It's pretty obvious

Postby kat_aclysm » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Blame Kat, she does run the convention. [/quote]

Not a con. =P
Scout
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Scout » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Maybe it should be, I don't like the idea of people missing out just because you don't want it to get too big.
Sebastian
Furstralian Fanatic
Furstralian Fanatic
Species: wallaby/chameleon hybrid

Postby Sebastian » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:54 pm

I'm sure everyone here is aware that their concerns will only be noted by the organisers if they post on the FurJam FB page, but under freedom of speech anyone is entitled to share their thoughts about furry interests here. So long as they're polite and everyone has been thus far.

Kat certainly has a point about the forum's current engine, and this echoes other concerns on the support threads, but I don't have the needed web design skills.

Maybe it should be, I don't like the idea of people missing out just because you don't want it to get too big.[/quote]Agreed, and I'm not keen on the proposed 150 attendees limit either, which I'll be posting about on FB.

Actually first I'll post here:
Like I said earlier on FB it's all about economies of scale (the dragons cheer!). The more attendees, the more thinly the cost is spread among everyone.
Now I'm not overlooking that the venue costs are just the beginning; with a large event you also need security, insurance, administration & overheads (Eg: electronics), and any additional entertainment. However let's start by looking at the venue costs first just to get an idea.
3 nights x $2,000 = $6,000 divided by 150 furs attending = $40 each. Yes that's a bit steep. (WereStritchy is my maths correct? Being dyslexic I'm extremely prone to typos)
200 furs =$30 each
250 furs =$24 each
300 furs =$20 each
350 furs =$17 each
400 furs =$15 each
...and on it goes. It's not affordable as a con just yet, but the attendance numbers are deliberately limited then a great many people who want to attend the furry event in their capital city will not be able to, especially people living outside of the Sydney metropolitan area.
Scout
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Scout » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:34 pm

I'd gladly pay to get in.
KatAclysm
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Take a wild guess, dumbass

Postby KatAclysm » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Convention means generating convention-based content. The community wanted it to stay a meet.

A cap would only be imposed on the evening venue - am asking for opinions only right now. Can already see tis probably going to be unpopular.
KatAclysm
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Take a wild guess, dumbass

Postby KatAclysm » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:34 pm

Keep the chatter either here or there though - I don't wanna have to repeat myself twice in both places. Choose one, I'm happy either way.
Sebastian
Furstralian Fanatic
Furstralian Fanatic
Species: wallaby/chameleon hybrid

Postby Sebastian » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Keep the chatter either here or there though - I don't wanna have to repeat myself twice in both places. Choose one, I'm happy either way.[/quote]Please make up your mind then. In this thread you said "Next time you have concerns, can you just bring them directly to me? I'm extremely worried at some of the commentary on this thread. I don't really use Furstralia any more since the layout changed, logging in doesn't work half the time and it hates me utterly." So I posted on FB to ask if the proposed 150 cap was true and you said there "All I did was ask for an opinion on the forum - don't go startin rumours now!"