RivFur 2011 Feedback & 2012 Ideas Thread

Forum rules
DISCLAIMER:
Users organise and attend meets and conventions and share accommodation entirely at their own risk. Furstralia can take no responsibility or liability for any loss or damages which may occur during or as a result of attendance of those events or as a result of shared accommodation.
Espilonarge
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Dingaroo

Postby Espilonarge » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:45 am

I love Kiba's #3 and # 6.. rent out a hall and we could either arm ourselves with sugar, cordial and sleeping bags for a night of movies or have some kinda party in a hall, i'd def chip in for food n rent for that :) :)[/quote]
Like Jet i would love to do the river cruise again next year it was awesome!
Oh and I am totally for the whole rent out a hall and have some kinda party or movie night sounds like fun. :wgrin:[/quote]
Or maybe we should have a Nerf War with barricades (the "wall" kind) followed by a party afterwards! :D
Efion
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Fox

Postby Efion » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:45 am

I dunno how well a lan would go for people who were from out of town/don't have laptops if it were organised at a hall or someone's house, would there be any Lan/Gaming places in the city big enough that they could hold us?

Also, must remember, most games do have a max size, so we'd either need quite a low max player count or have multiple games and such going on at once.

Plus, as fun as it would be, pulling an all night game/movie marathon probably would not be good for any events the day after.

I don't really have any suggestions as of yet, I'd like to see another Nerf war, perhaps in a location with better terrain (maybe even using out own cover as Esp said). Ive the idea of a talent show being thrown around, and that could be interesting, though it'd have to be incorporated into some other event probably.

As for feedback, everything I went to seemed well organised and ran pretty smoothy, a good mix of flexibility and you know, sticking to the schedule.
LadyCath
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Tabby Cat

Postby LadyCath » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:32 pm

My thing with nerf war/laser tag is that I really am not into it, dunno if i'm the only one.

But then again we need to remember they can't please everyone so I suppose having a variety of events over the w/end always helps.
KibaSwiftpaw
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: German Shepherd Werewolf

Postby KibaSwiftpaw » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Haha Thanks Cat, good to see that peeps remember this ^.^ it is difficult finding something to do that most, if not all can enjoy!

Calfoxy: Yus, we do understand regulations, restrictions and all the jazz that goes with something like that. Hence things like that would be duel done, say art jammin/movies with a lan happening.
This is just so we can get an idea of how many peeps will be interested or want to attend something like that or if its worth it kinda thing. If something happens to get more spunk, we just go with that activity instead. Its so we can plan for you guys for the most part :P
If we do go with the lan party, then we will sit down with a bunch of the more tech minded furs most likely and ask their advice about how to go along with something like this ^.^ But thankies for your imput though
KeioWolf
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Wolf

Postby KeioWolf » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:15 pm

If we do go with the lan party, then we will sit down with a bunch of the more tech minded furs most likely and ask their advice about how to go along with something like this ^.^ But thankies for your imput though[/quote]
for a LAN you could find out how many people have spare computers that they would be willing to 'lend', figure out how many you can accommodate in terms of power usage and networking... and then make it a bring-your-own-pc with x slots for 'pc hire'... but anyway...

Brilliant weekend, the zoo trip sorta did throw a few things off... with minimal transport options there and then the cost of entry with only a quick run around the place before leaving... but anyway, all in all it was great fun and can't wait till next year! :wgrin:
LadyCath
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Tabby Cat

Postby LadyCath » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:40 pm

Haha Thanks Cat, good to see that peeps remember this ^.^ it is difficult finding something to do that most, if not all can enjoy![/quote]

I'm all to familiar with it. I run #Brisburnians on DeviantArt with a few others and we simply couldn't please everyone at the same time. No matter what event we planned there were always complaints.
Lucki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Dingo (Canis lupus dingo)

Postby Lucki » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:01 pm

#3 is all I can say I think would be good on that list.

A LAN party wouldn't be impossible, but I do have some thoughts. You'll definitely see the split between gamerpros, regular gamer furs and those who don't play games/aren't as good at them. Playing games is always fun, even if you lose, but it's not very fun when you spawn and 5 seconds later get hammered by 9001 bullets that were just fired at you. Of course, so does the SSBB tourney at FurDU, so perhaps remedy it with an Artjam or something else that's going on at the same time.

I believe we need events that everyone can enjoy and that don't segregate people because of skill level in that particular field.

The Story Bridge climb idea could be fun, but not when the group price is $880 for max of 12 people (have to ring them for a quote for more peeps).

Cruise was amazing, I wanna go again :3

Anyways, these are my opinions on things
SnowDragon
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: SnowDragon

Postby SnowDragon » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:54 pm

It'd be like sending a bunch of six year old COD morons to play RVS on Elite.

Hilarity.

Anyway, it's more than posible to host one of those lans for minimum, if not any cost at all. Libraries in Brisbane host meeting rooms that can be hired out for no cost. And no, I'm talking about those tiny study rooms on the second floor. BSQ is central brisbane, just over the bridge from Cult.Cent. Those things are fully equipped, the one is SBK has about 50 power points in it. The only real cost involved is the cat5e/cat6 cable needed to run such an event, as servers and switches can be provided by those of us within the event itself (IE Me :D), although I can provide a heap of Cat5e in multiple pretty colours as well.

So long as everyone keeps a few gbs free and someone brings a HDD worth of lan games and a USB of VCD, these things are easy to run if you know what you're doing.
KeioWolf
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Wolf

Postby KeioWolf » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:05 pm

for a LAN to stop the 'elite' player dominance, you just do a team vs team and put some good and some bad on each team
Akemi
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Shiba Inu

Postby Akemi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Personally that cruise was well run and quite enjoyable, i'd do it again sometime, really relaxing even in suit!

Other than that I think it was pretty good. I enjoyed all choices open to us. Especially New Farm Park. So easy to get to and just gorgeous <3