RivFur 2012 - Will YOU Be at LAN Smash?

Forum rules
DISCLAIMER:
Users organise and attend meets and conventions and share accommodation entirely at their own risk. Furstralia can take no responsibility or liability for any loss or damages which may occur during or as a result of attendance of those events or as a result of shared accommodation.

Where are you on Sunday?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 pm

I will be going Winter LAN Smash!
No votes
I will be going Winter LAN Smash!
No votes
I would prefer to go to the Park Meet.
50%
I would prefer to go to the Park Meet.
50%

Total votes: 28
Jet
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Dingo

Postby Jet » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:22 pm

Image Image

Hi Guys!

First off, quick Hello! Jet is back this year to make RivFur even more awesome for you! So lookout for my posts about coming events and details :P

Now this year, we have two events running side by side this year, the Park Meet & the Winter LAN Smash External Event.
I'm looking to get an idea of how much interest there is in the Park meet this year vs the LAN smash running at the same time so we can try to cater to everyone's overall RivFur enjoyment, I'm also trying to get an idea of the amount of furs who would want to go to a park meet again this year so we can allocate staffing and resources accordingly between events!

Please cast your vote now!

Information About Winter LAN Smash 2012:

LanSmash is one of Australia's longest Gaming events.
LS holds four major events a year seasonally (SummerSmash, RetroSmash, WinterSmash, SantaSmash) and brings together gamers of all ages.

Date & Time: June 1st 2012, Sunday Time: 9am to 6pm (Also running on Saturday 9am to 10pm for those wanting to hit it up then too)
Cost: $15 (Per Day)

-=What To Bring (PC Gaming)=-

[Computer/Notebook[/*:m]
Headphones[/*:m]
Power board[/*:m]

-=Official Tournaments=-

Starcraft 2 - 1v1 [/*:m]
Team Fotress 2 - 6v6[/*:m]
DOTA 2 - 5v5[/*:m]
Street Fighter 4 AE - 1v1[/*:m]
Super Smash Brothers[/*:m]
+ plus many other fun comps[/*:m]
SnowDragon
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: SnowDragon

Postby SnowDragon » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:17 am

I've got a great idea! Let's make the interstate people bring their own tables, own rigs, power boards, cables and chairs to a public GAMER event. Hah! Especially when people locally could provde all the hardware required to host the event, including their own servers.

Park meet.
KibaSwiftpaw
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: German Shepherd Werewolf

Postby KibaSwiftpaw » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:43 pm

Please keep your opinions like that to yourself especially if it's just to be negative about something.

We don't have the man power or the time for something like that, especially when there is something as convenient as LAN smash right there. Wanna game and not from here? Borrow someone's rig.

This is why there is -also- a park meet funnily enough
SnowDragon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby SnowDragon » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:30 pm

So... you're not taking constructive critism, is that it? And do you have a spare gaming rig just laying around spare for someone to borrow? And a spare table?
Foxy_Malone
Admin
Admin
Species: Snow Leopard

Postby Foxy_Malone » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:33 pm

so we'll put your name down as someone who wants to organise this?
KibaSwiftpaw
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: German Shepherd Werewolf

Postby KibaSwiftpaw » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:53 pm

As discussed we have already looked at this as an option, many a time. You know as we did already ask several questions with you.
What it comes down to, was time available or available man power as stated. Not only that the costs of hiring a place to have it, tables for there plus having all the gear nessassary does not make it a viable option when it costs $15 for those that wish to attend take their things to LAN smash.
As it stands you want to cater to the minority that comes to rivfur which again, we do love having them, doesn't make it an event worthwhile when it is such a small group that wants to attend.

And you don't need to bring a table and yus if I had a laptop that was currently running I would let them borrow it.

We do take "criticism" what we don't take is the attitude that comes with it, which is exactly how it comes across.
Jet
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Dingo

Postby Jet » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Tell ya'll what, as this seems to be such a hot issue XD

I'll take it upon myself to investigate holding a furry LAN party sometime later this year, NOT ASSOCIATED WITH RIVFUR, establish the costs associated, including finding a venue etc. etc. and open it up for expressions of interest nationally and recruit volunteers. Provided there is sufficient interest from the community, I will personally organize and run the event on my own watch :P

However, to the issue at hand, with the amount of work going into RivFur, we just don't have the man (and girl) power to hold what would be effectively two events that would need a lot of origination. Besides in my eyes, RivFur is about enjoying Brisbane and all it has on offer! Not about sitting inside on your computer. The LAN Smash was for those who wanted to do something different then the park meet this year, so we found an external event organised by others (professionally) that we could rely on to provide that service without creating a lot of work for what is a very small committee this year.

Rest assured Snow, you're on the top of my list for helping run one later on in the year!
Lucki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Dingo (Canis lupus dingo)

Postby Lucki » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:46 pm

Park meet. NYERF <333

Although I don't agree with his attitude, gotta agree with Snow.

LAN Smash for an event that includes interstate and even local furs without cars is a terrible idea.

Better luck next year :3
Foxy_Malone
Admin
Admin
Species: Snow Leopard

Postby Foxy_Malone » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:51 pm

the lansmash was added because ever since the first rivfur people have wanted it, so it finally gets offered and noone wants it, very peculiar
SnowDragon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby SnowDragon » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:58 pm

A lan party might have been wanted, but hosting it at Lansmash was not a good idea. I mean, the numbers speak for themselves....