For anything Fursuiting and Costuming
Lupin
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Caracal

Your suit and you: personality and performance

Postby Lupin » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:48 am

Hi all,

Being what I suppose you'd call a 'personal fur', I had never really thought about who my 'character' is, or how she would act, as my character is just... well, me!
However, as I am about to receive a shiny new fursuit, I sat down and brainstormed what parts of my personality I could dramatise and develop into a character while in suit. This was a fun but immensely challenging task, and I found there were very few aspects to my personality I could actually translate into a fun, interactive character.

So my questions to you all are:
How much of your actual personality goes into your character while fursuiting?
How did you decide which aspects of your personality to portray through your character / fursuit?
If your fursona is very different to your 'human' personality, how do you 'switch minds' so to speak when playing that character?

Also, does anyone find fursuiting a bit daunting? I have horrendous social anxiety and find it immensely difficult to interact with people at the best of times, but add limited vision, being randomly leapt upon and the constant fear of being attacked (if in public places) to that and you're left with a big steaming pile of un-fun!
Does anyone else have similar problems? What do you do to overcome the feeling of stage fright when in costume?
Pye
Furstralian Fanatic
Furstralian Fanatic
Species: Wolf

Postby Pye » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:00 pm

I suited for the first time this weekend and I can tell you that it's actually easier to interact with people in suit. No one should be leaping on you while you're in a suit, it's good to have someone with you to help you do things and to tell people off. :P
"I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker, and I have seen the eternal footman hold my coat and snicker and in short, I was afraid."

- T.S. Eliot
Toska
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Warthog

Postby Toska » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:58 am

I suffer social anxiety as well and I have fond being in suit makes things alot easier for me. Having the suit on gives you a certain amount on annonymity. I personally have never had any negative experiences while in suit, although I have been present when Rogue got punched in the face in suit once, although the guy that did the punching came off worse because it was a resin based head). If you have a decent handler and be a bit careful about where and when you suit you should be fine as far as being attacked or jumped on.

As for personality thats a bit harder. When in Toska I am basically myself on a good day, confident, loud, hyperactive, fun and what not. But when wearing other suits (especially those that arent mine) I tend to be alot more reserved, silent in some cases and fall back on the more generic cute fursuiter performance which I tend to do when I am around kids no matter what suit I am in. Because I make my own suits though I tend to have their personalities sorted before I even start making them. But sometimes its just a matter of sitting and looking at a character until you come up with something that feels right.
Akemi
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Shiba Inu

Postby Akemi » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:55 pm

How much of your actual personality goes into your character while fursuiting?

Probably all of it plus more. I'm an avid and active suiter, I can tell you that much!

How did you decide which aspects of your personality to portray through your character / fursuit?

You design your character how you want them to act, you have an emo character, you portray that personality. You have a hyper character, you do that personality. Anything innappropriate obviously should be thought out first.

If your fursona is very different to your 'human' personality, how do you 'switch minds' so to speak when playing that character?

Once the suit is on, for me it's pretty much instant. My characters are my suits, the moment they are on I become them.

Also, does anyone find fursuiting a bit daunting?

I have never felt this way about suiting. Only when I do not know about the character I am suiting as (for example, using someone elses suit for the first time and not knowing much about their character). Then its a bit daunting. Personally, you will feel much better acting and being yourself/your character once your face is hidden.

What do you do to overcome the feeling of stage fright when in costume?

I don't. I have no stage fright in suit because my characters do not XD Weird I know but it works.
Dar'z
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Panthera Pardus Caracal

Postby Dar'z » Tue May 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Rogue got punched in the face in suit once, although the guy that did the punching came off worse because it was a resin based head). [/quote]

That. Is. Hilarious. :D :D :D
KeioWolf
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Wolf

Postby KeioWolf » Wed May 18, 2011 9:11 am

does anyone find fursuiting a bit daunting? I have horrendous social anxiety and find it immensely difficult to interact with people at the best of times, but add limited vision, being randomly leapt upon and the constant fear of being attacked (if in public places) to that and you're left with a big steaming pile of un-fun!
Does anyone else have similar problems? What do you do to overcome the feeling of stage fright when in costume?[/quote]

The answer to the 'getting lept upon', 'being attacked' etc is a good handler and common sense, if you have a good handler or two, you can pretty much prevent the one or two idiots from doing anything.
as for stage fright etc, almost no one can tell who you are, go have fun, use common sense, and people will react well.
Toska
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Warthog

Postby Toska » Wed May 18, 2011 2:20 pm

does anyone find fursuiting a bit daunting? I have horrendous social anxiety and find it immensely difficult to interact with people at the best of times, but add limited vision, being randomly leapt upon and the constant fear of being attacked (if in public places) to that and you're left with a big steaming pile of un-fun!
Does anyone else have similar problems? What do you do to overcome the feeling of stage fright when in costume?[/quote]

The answer to the 'getting lept upon', 'being attacked' etc is a good handler and common sense, if you have a good handler or two, you can pretty much prevent the one or two idiots from doing anything.
as for stage fright etc, almost no one can tell who you are, go have fun, use common sense, and people will react well.[/quote]

Agreed a good handeler can make all the difference. Before you go out make sure you have a talk with your handler (especialy if they arent familiar with fursuits) let them know how much you can and can't see so they know what to look out for for you. And if you don't want to break character working out some basic hand signals for things you may need to tell your handler like 'I need a drink', 'I need to get out of suit', 'help me' etc, thats if your character is silent obviously.
I am guilty of committing the fursuiting sin of going out without a handler on several occasions, but I always have at least one other suiter with me so you do have someone keeping an eye out for you. I actually had to silently tell some kids off for pulling Rogues tail at the paws walk on Sunday, I think they got the point though.
Practicing wearing your suit around before you go out in public is a good idea as well, get used to your limited vision and hearing, it is suprisingly easy to get used to.
Akemi
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Shiba Inu

Postby Akemi » Sun May 22, 2011 5:12 pm