Does Anyone Out There Wish for Fursuit-sized Accessories?

For anything Fursuiting and Costuming
Jarron
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Arctic Hare

Postby Jarron » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:01 pm

I would like to propose a partnership prototyping experiment of sorts.

Specifically, I wish to determine the viability of what seems to be a relatively novel manufacturing method – at least in the fursuiting world.
However, jumping in full-scale for my whole head's design would be a bit too much of a leap of faith for me, so I thought I'd start smaller first – but I don't have anything to accessorise!

The props in question would end up being constructed out of their least-expensive plastic, so solid, rigid items only. No fabrics or elastic parts – though hinged, sliding or other moving parts might be an interesting challenge.
And of course if you want to you can add any required fabric components yourself after the initial build.

A prime example, and the one which made me start down this path, would be if your fursona wears glasses (referring to the frames only, sorry. I'll leave sourcing either properly-cut pieces of clear plastic or actual prescription-functional optical glass elements to you!):
Human-sized ones will by definition be disproportionately small, and while toy/novelty ones might be in the ballpark of the right sort of proportions, shape and style is extremely limited – and even these are still designed to fit a human-sized nose bridge.
So it seems to me that suiters have had to make-do with found, scavenged or makeshift pieces. Well, here's your chance to have exactly the design you've always wanted!

Another potential idea which has occurred to me in the process of writing this: headphones!
Again – there is not ever going to be a ready-made, mass-produced set of headphones which will fit any fursona.
This one will be an interesting challenge and will probably be done as multiple separate parts unlike the glasses. I could even include the cabling and earpads as part of the final product.
Shoot, I might have just opened myself up to the entire Furgonomics world! What have I done? (I ain't makin' no freakin' chairs, m'kay?)

If you can at least sketch a mockup over a photographic reference of your suit's head, I will be able to produce something we can at least work on and iteratively refine until you're happy.

Regarding costs: unless you have a compelling case for why this should be otherwise I'm pretty sure we'd split the base production and shipping costs down the middle.
If you want to pony up for one of the more exotic materials, by all means I won't stop you.
I'm not going to pretend I have zero stake in seeing how cool it might be to turn out something in the Stainless Steel or Transparent Resin, so let's say I'll meet some part of that cost jump – at my sole discretion (I don't think I want to put down a hard figure should you want to go for the Gold or Silver)

It would be most efficient to have it sent to me first, so I can study what succeeded and how it might scale up, and then I'll forward it on to you (in pristine condition of course!) to keep.
mechatanuki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Tanuki Cyborg

Postby mechatanuki » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:57 pm

It just so happens this is my area of expertise, turning concepts into fully realised physical objects using rapid manufacturing processes (3D printing, lasercutting and all that). As you've noticed, it's freakin' amazing for making a single, highly detailed object. :)

I.materialise is overpriced, I would recommend shapeways and their 'strong and flexible' material (also polyamide).

The struggle with these companies is they're locations (ie, not Australia). I've approached several 3D printing companies locally and their prices are laughable, so am fast establishing my own network of machinery to create accessories for all sorts of cosplay needs.

Not really after a partnership, but give SLS (white strong flexible) a go through shapeways with a small accessory, you can do pretty much anything and the parts are very very strong. Resolution is fantastic too. The 'full colour sandstone' sounds great in theory, but it's far too brittle for any kind of use.

My suit currently in top-secret construction will have almost an entire side of it made from rapid prototyped parts. 8)
Jarron
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Arctic Hare

Postby Jarron » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:21 pm

Whoops. I really didn't mean to step on anyone's paws here. I searched high and low on as many places as I could figure and thought quite a bit before posting this!
I did find Shapeways, and have no particular fixation on any one vendor (i.mat just happened to by first on my Bookmarks list, so they got the link – sufficient for illustrative purposes).
I was impressed with their new elastic material trial!
That's so cool to hear that you've got some ambitious top-secret plans. So do I heheheh...
mechatanuki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Tanuki Cyborg

Postby mechatanuki » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:34 pm

Not stepping on anyone's paws ;) It's seriously cool tech that offers heaps of opportunities. The flex stuff is cool yeah but damn can't justify the price... :shock: Good luck with it :)
Joey
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Coonfox

Postby Joey » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:09 am

picked up a replicator recently and have been making my own bits and bobs for nerf guns, very cool tech :)
kat_aclysm
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: It's pretty obvious

Postby kat_aclysm » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:24 am

Oh goodness, this technology contains so much LOVE. The current-day fursuit building materials include mesh, sculpted foam, wire-frame, balaclava, and and resin slush-casting, and plastic vacuum forming. I'd actually LOVE to see this technology come along more so I could print out durable furry mask-bases - I can't wait for it to become cheaper and more accessible for household use.

As for purchasing 3D printed things, builders are beginning to seek out durable 3D printed noses and claws for purchase. Monoyasha sells resin casted claws, jawsets and all sorts of things. Maybe look into that and work out pricing? It looks like a really niche market that's waiting to be untapped and FULL of potential.
Joey
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Coonfox

Postby Joey » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:45 am

Oh goodness, this technology contains so much LOVE. The current-day fursuit building materials include mesh, sculpted foam, wire-frame, balaclava, and and resin slush-casting, and plastic vacuum forming. I'd actually LOVE to see this technology come along more so I could print out durable furry mask-bases - I can't wait for it to become cheaper and more accessible for household use.

As for purchasing 3D printed things, builders are beginning to seek out durable 3D printed noses and claws for purchase. Monoyasha sells resin casted claws, jawsets and all sorts of things. Maybe look into that and work out pricing? It looks like a really niche market that's waiting to be untapped and FULL of potential.[/quote]

I have been selling custom nerf accessories over the last two months and yes you are right it is untapped and full of potential. The printer is awesome for more technical things, less so for 'organic' things. Though the tec is getting better :)