HELP on first fur suit!

For anything Fursuiting and Costuming
Alex the lion
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: lion (subspecies: Krugran cross)

Re: HELP on first fur suit!

Postby Alex the lion » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:01 am

Okay my first bit of advice is how long have you had your current fursona? If your answer is less the 12 months I would not get a fursuit just yet. This is because your fursona can change within that time an you don't want to have a suit that you have spent $1200+ only to change your mind six months down the track.
Also fursuits are a lot of work. As I build my own, I know that there is a lot of matinance involved. A good tip is get your builder to send extra fur with the suit if you get one because you will have matching fur to make repairs. At least an meter of extra fur for the main colours.
make sure you get them to send the cleaning instructions for the fur in the package.
Your first outings should be with eather understanding family or at a furry con. Here you can make mistakes in general and in the case of the furry con you can get help if need be.
Get used to waring your suit. They are like waring a fur-coat they do get very hot and your body has to get used to it.
also get a set of UnderArmor or skinz it helps you to cool and filters some of the sweat you will produce.
Get third party insurance just for peace of mind. This is the Group I use http://www.duckforcover.com.au/minigen/.
Lastly know your limits. At the first sign of heat stress get out of the suit. Take reguar breaks in the headless lounge Drink plenty of water and don't stay in the suit all day.
Alex the lion
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: lion (subspecies: Krugran cross)

HELP on first fur suit!

Postby Alex the lion » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:01 am

Okay my first bit of advice is how long have you had your current fursona? If your answer is less the 12 months I would not get a fursuit just yet. This is because your fursona can change within that time an you don't want to have a suit that you have spent $1200+ only to change your mind six months down the track.
Also fursuits are a lot of work. As I build my own, I know that there is a lot of matinance involved. A good tip is get your builder to send extra fur with the suit if you get one because you will have matching fur to make repairs. At least an meter of extra fur for the main colours.
make sure you get them to send the cleaning instructions for the fur in the package.
Your first outings should be with eather understanding family or at a furry con. Here you can make mistakes in general and in the case of the furry con you can get help if need be.
Get used to waring your suit. They are like waring a fur-coat they do get very hot and your body has to get used to it.
also get a set of UnderArmor or skinz it helps you to cool and filters some of the sweat you will produce.
Get third party insurance just for peace of mind. This is the Group I use http://www.duckforcover.com.au/minigen/.
Lastly know your limits. At the first sign of heat stress get out of the suit. Take reguar breaks in the headless lounge Drink plenty of water and don't stay in the suit all day.
zipbom
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: dabbet

Re: HELP on first fur suit!

Postby zipbom » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks for the advice alex, as for how long i have had my fursona i have been a dabbet for more than 2/3 yrs now so i wont be changin..
You do have some good valid points on wareing the suit and taking care of it, i shall keep them all in mind..
thanks again and i value all experiance and all the imfomation all of you furrs and given me!! :D:D
zipbom
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: dabbet

HELP on first fur suit!

Postby zipbom » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:05 pm

Thanks for the advice alex, as for how long i have had my fursona i have been a dabbet for more than 2/3 yrs now so i wont be changin..
You do have some good valid points on wareing the suit and taking care of it, i shall keep them all in mind..
thanks again and i value all experiance and all the imfomation all of you furrs and given me!! :D:D