Some photos of my other Obession - Ants!

Show us your photography and furtography!
Azerane
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Lioness

Postby Azerane » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:09 pm

Ants are awesome! I did an invertebrate biology class at Uni and we had to do an invertebrate collection, was a lot of fun. I got a fierce old inch ant for mine. It's was quite sacry collecting one of those, I can tell you that.

Ants are truly amazing though, so many different species and they play such an important role in ecosystem health. Even if occasionally I do get assaulted by them when birdwatching because I've been looking at birds instead of where I was walking. xD That's amazing that you keep colonies though. Very cool :)
Reathen
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Otter

Postby Reathen » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:00 pm

When you get that close, I think the SMALLEST vibrations can mess up the photo?[/quote]
i was more thinking about the focal distance. ants don't stand still, and the focal distance on that is TINY (focal distance? focal length? i dont know, i is not photo person... ask reathen what i mean, im sure he can translate my mere-mortal into photo-guy-speak)[/quote]Depth of Field is the term. I know it's also used to describe how it looks, but yeah, it's also the actual measurement. It' the distance between the nearest point (NP) in focus and the far point (FP) in focus.

Fuzzi is right, you have a tiny DoF with macro photography. It comes down to a matter of a few millimeters. Those little ants scurry around so much!

Camera shake also comes into it a lot too. The closer something is to the film plane, the more the movement is apparent. Like a jet looks slow off in the distance, but fast up close. You need a lot of light to get enough shutter speed to freeze the movement of the ants.
Drake
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Dragon ^.=.^

Postby Drake » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Yeah, the factor of the ant moving is the other part. They stay still SOMETIMES! Thats why the shot I got with the brick camera, with the ant standing on a thin bit of grass was lucky lol. Now if that was done with the right camera, and lens, would be a really nice photo.

I figured I would test my Camcorders photo taking ability's! Needless to say, not to bad, but not as crisp if you had a macro lens. In due time as I always say! Mushrooms are nice, and they tend to stay still unlike ants. And when I seen these cute little pink mushrooms, i was compelled to take a photo ^.=.^"

mikio
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Wolf/Tiger

Re: Some photos of my other Obession - Ants!

Postby mikio » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:21 am

I has ants too!
taken in around september 2008. With a Olympus µ -mini.
mikio
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Wolf/Tiger

Postby mikio » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:21 am

I has ants too!
taken in around september 2008. With a Olympus µ -mini.