Camera selection? - EDIT: Selected!

Show us your photography and furtography!
KeioWolf
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Wolf

Postby KeioWolf » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:28 pm

Ok, don't mean to start a Canon vs Nikon vs other war here XD

But i was wondering what type of camera people would suggest...

I love photography, however am currently a little ignorant of the specs etc of the various cameras...

I have used both a Canon and a Nikon, love both manufacturers cameras, but I think I'm leaning more towards Nikon...
but anyway...

Am after a DSLR
Fast shutter speeds (I tend to take several photos for every photo, if that makes sense)
Image quality (the higher the better)
Only going to be used for still images (no video, I have a video camera for that :P)
inbuilt flash preferred (or price of flash attachment)
Price range probably about $2000 or less... can go a bit over if needed... (inc lens)

Also looking for a lens for said camera that is a 'general all-rounder' (i.e. best lens for most situations)

any other info needed?
Yaps
Furstralian
Furstralian

Re: Camera selection?

Postby Yaps » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:00 pm

Of course, price tells it all. It is obvious that a higher price yields a higher equipment quality.

Other question that help maybe what time of photography are you into? Will you be taking more of natural lighting surroundings (eg: landscape) or artificially lit environment (eg: portraiture and events). Asking what DSLR is the best is very vague, maybe specificity a bit your usage habit.

Focal length recommendation:
Landscape: 10 mm - 50 mm
Portraiture: 50 mm - 150 mm
Telephoto (wildlife and sport events): you are looking for anything beyond 150 mm at least

Simply put it, the larger the closer you zoom. The smaller the wider the view.

PS: These are just examples only... You can use those focal length for other subject too... It doesn't mean that a you can't use a 24 mm to take pictures of friends. Is just that you have to be close than a 50 mm for an identical framing.

There are some special lenses out there that 'are special' such as macro and fish eye. But they are more specific and have limited creativity. I am Canon user myself, but I rather not suggest a specific model cause otherwise Nikon users will hunt me down... Image

Anyway... Like I say, maybe specify a lens range or type of photos you will take (most of the time). Also an advice, many professionals says 'it is more wise to buy a good lens than a good camera. Camera upgrades all the time, a lens can last forever.'
~Yaps
KeioWolf
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby KeioWolf » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

I'll probably be doing more portrait and event photography, in both natural and artificial light.
Yaps
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby Yaps » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:08 pm

KeioWolf wrote:Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

I'll probably be doing more portrait and event photography, in both natural and artificial light.
Something between the range of 30 mm and 100 mm will be good. Since I read that you are more oriented towards Nikon, I do not know qualitively the Nikon lenses range. So I cannot advice anything on that. If you want some advice on Canon, leave a reply. Good luck finding your DSLR.
~Yaps
KeioWolf
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby KeioWolf » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:16 pm

I may be more orientated a little more towards Nikon, dosnt mean I'm against buying a Canon though :P

Would love to hear any suggestions for Canons as well. ^_^
Yaps
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby Yaps » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:11 pm

KeioWolf wrote:I may be more orientated a little more towards Nikon, dosnt mean I'm against a Canon though :P

Would love to hear any suggestions for Canons as well. ^_^
Alright where do you want me to start? I hope I do not offend you by introducing the fundamentals. For Canon, here we go~

Firstly you may want to understand that higher megapixels for small DSLR sensors does not mean it is always best. Currently the market has several sensor types (both for Nikon and Canon), Canon names them APS-C, APC-H and Full frame 35 mm. Nikon gave theirs a different name such as DX, FX etc... The far left are usually the smaller and the Full Frame are the expensive types such as the Nikon D3 and Canon 1D's.

The reason why these cameras are expensive is because they hare relatively low pixel to area density. This means for examples 1 megapixel/cm² for example. The lower is usually good because it reduces the amount what in photography term call "noise". If you asking me, "how is this related to the camera I choose?" It is because the number of megapixel on the camera relates back to the image quality. In simpler explanation, the picture looks a lot more smooth and detailed for a 1 megapixel/cm² compare 10 megapixel/cm². This is for a reason why compact don't push their MP up as far as 20MP. They can do it! But the quality will be horrifying...

Technology as time goes does improve the noise. I tend to be attracted to low MP cameras. My aim of this message is to explain that MP is not the focus in camera choice.

For an enthusiast budget, you might be interested in the:
Canon 500D *no video
Canon 550D
Canon 50D (if you can still get one) *no video
Canon 40D (if you can still find one...) *no video

The above ones are very good investment. The 7D is a really good upgrade for a lot of features such as wireless flash transmission and alike. Although you must be aware that it has crop factor... That is something really hard to explain in a few text. It does come with a slightly higher price tags... If you do have a lot of money you can consider the Canon 5D MarksII. But I would cause Canon will get the 5D MarksIII.

In terms of lenses, you might want to focus:
- USM (Ultra Sonic Motor), this is a quiet and FAST focusing system which is extremely good! Since I used one now and then jump back those without, I find it very fustrating because it is noisy and takes 10 times longer to focus.
- IS system (Image Stability), it is a mechanism that compensates for minor hand movements. Good Canon EF-L lenses have very good. L lens stands for luxury series. They are known for high quality glass, fast USM and high stops IS system. Some EF-S or EF lens offers IS mode but they are not as good as the L. It still better to have one then not. It does help keep the image steady and improve sharpness.
- EF or EF-S. If you choose any other camera other than the 1D series and 5D, the framing is important and has a crop factor. Every EF lens mounted on a APS-C frame gets its range multiplied by x1.6. So for example a EF 50 mm will be equivalent to 75 mm. There it advantage and dis-advantage. Advantage is that you can get extra free 'telephoto' range, downside is that you won't be able to take wide angles photo (specially for me cause I tend to take landscape a lot).

You may want something decent and good as a first lens to get a hang of it:
- EF-S 17-85 mm f/4.0-5.6 USM IS (I am using it, a very good all round lens)
- EF-S 17-85 mm f/2.8 IS USM
I just think the other EF-S are pretty crap... These lens should not be too expensive. Ask for a deal or see what combo Canon makes. You can of course by any other ones you desire on the page: http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/For-You/Camera-Lenses

If you are serious about photography, then you might consider a once and for all lens such as a L. You have a lot to choose from. If you are choosing those lens, I advice you to read a bit more of what makes then special and check out some of the reviews.

I am not sure how experience you are. I am no professional but I hope this reading didn't bore you out.

PS: If you do not mind me asking, how long have you been in digital photography for? Do you read any tutorials or manuals? Did you pick this hobby up by interest or inspired by relatives artworks such as friends, your parents or cousins? The reason I would like to ask is to ensures that if my explanation were a bit too technical, I apologise.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Yaps
KeioWolf
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby KeioWolf » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:19 pm

thanks!!! ^_^
quite informative :wgrinn:
the 550D looks tempting XD
(wont mention anything higher cause $$$ :P )

anyone care to add to that (if possible XD) or comment from the Nikon /other models side of things???