Doing the NaNoWriMo

Show off your Stories or Poems here
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Goat

Doing the NaNoWriMo

Postby Wererstritchy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:19 pm

The NaNoWriMo, national november writing month. It's a funky dance that people do with their fingers every November. The ultimate challenge, to write 50,000 words in one month. Yes, this is a challenge if you put it off, and think about this for a second, how many of you have said 'hey i want to write a book' but when you get a few chapters in, or maybe less... Or more, you say 'i'll do the rest later' and it never comes?

That is exactly the reason why NaNoWriMo exists. During november, you are encouraged to write 50,000 words and to work with people you know, people you don't, icons, amateurs, professionals, people from every demographic. It is that one time a year that you put everything ELSE aside for your book, instead of shoving your written work under the covers of the carpet.

The basic goal is to write 1667 words per day to reach your goal. Now i know for a fact that this is achievable, because i wrote 10,000 words in one day when i was in the groove. Sadly i burnt out 2000 words from the finish line, but this year i am ready!

But back on target, who would like to work with me during the november madness to complete a novel's worth of effort in one month?
CuriousDragon
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Dragon

Doing the NaNoWriMo

Postby CuriousDragon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:04 pm

That is a scary amount of word o_o
Sebastian
Furstralian Fanatic
Furstralian Fanatic
Species: wallaby/chameleon hybrid

Doing the NaNoWriMo

Postby Sebastian » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:29 pm

It would be interesting to have a word-counting app set up on my PC to see how many words I type through forums and what-not, but I don't think I could compose 1667 words every single day through creative writing. Even when I was doing so prolifically I doubt I ever wrote 50,000 words in any month.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian

Doing the NaNoWriMo

Postby Wererstritchy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:17 pm

There is the website which can count for you, plus there are numerous apps that people have made for this, the challenge has been going on for years now.
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: ►Vampire fox

Doing the NaNoWriMo

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:24 pm

Very, Very good find Scritchy!

Everything you say or do has ripple effects....
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian

Doing the NaNoWriMo

Postby Wererstritchy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:54 pm

So, is anyone interested in participating?

Please, note the difference in 'participating' and 'racing' and 'winning'. If you're participating, you don't have to win, heck, you don't even have to go over 1000 words for the whole month! (~33 words per day) What I'm wanting is other people who are interested in participating. If I only went in it to win, I would use other techniques. I'm using the NaNoWriMo to write[/i], not to win. It would be cool to win, but that's beside the point, I want to make a story to have fun with, and to do stuff with. I want to race against time to make literary art and to enjoy it.

I don't necessarily want to win. If I only joined to win, I certainly wouldn't get focussed on other people joining, because helping others would impede my progress in writing, surely!

With that little explanation over, is there anyone still interested in writing?

I have a few reasons for this. 1, if someone else is writing, I can get talking to them as we'll both be on the same page with our goals and aims. 2, If someone else is writing, I can read their results as they post them, giving me ideas to work with, and also to give me something to look forwards to at the end of the day. 3, it's way more fun to write so that other people can see your work.

Also, those who are writing, I'd like to talk with you so you can start some prep work before you go out into full on writing. I've run it once, while I haven't won, I gained some experience in it.

Please comment if you're doing so.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian

Doing the NaNoWriMo

Postby Wererstritchy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:56 pm

First day's been fun for me. Hit 2000 words. I'm happy to have reached past par. I'm hoping to hit another 2000 tomorrow.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian

Doing the NaNoWriMo

Postby Wererstritchy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm now at the 10% level of 50k words. That's right, I've written over 5000 words towards the november writing month. I know I'm a bit behind, but that's because I've taken a few days off for study. I've been writing an average of 2k words every day I've slogged at it, this is my third day attacking it, and I hope to reach 3k today alone.

I've also written two stand-alone stories to get me out of the straight and narrow to rest up a bit on my slogging:

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/11955977/ - The yellow duck, a short story based on 'duck' as the theme, with inspiration from SCP creations and a little bit of TF hinting at the end.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/11999152/ - A moment of Unity, a short story based on the concept of 'unity'. Based on musical experience, and is in no way researched properly.

These are SFW short stories, about 1k words each done in less than 3 hours.