Audiophile Anonymous.

All aspects of Music. From talking about your favourite band to the furry musicians in all of us.
Huskyway
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Husky

Audiophile Anonymous.

Postby Huskyway » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:26 pm

It strikes me curiously to see how many of the furs here not only of course love music, but can also analyse and appreciate the gift of a good mix that really formulates HALF of the magic behind music and it's appeal?

How many people here are into live music mixing? To those that are, what gear do you use live, what are your favourite sorts of bands to mix, what stories have you got from concerts you've watched behind the board? Etc etc!

How about people who have worked in/for a studio? How was the experience? What was your studio setup? what microphones did you use etc etc.

Or even people who Popcorn and Pretzels-fart around with an EQ setting and a nice pair of headphones in your iPod. What is YOUR favourite EQ setting/pair of headphones?
Huskyway
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Husky

Audiophile Anonymous.

Postby Huskyway » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:26 pm

It strikes me curiously to see how many of the furs here not only of course love music, but can also analyse and appreciate the gift of a good mix that really formulates HALF of the magic behind music and it's appeal?

How many people here are into live music mixing? To those that are, what gear do you use live, what are your favourite sorts of bands to mix, what stories have you got from concerts you've watched behind the board? Etc etc!

How about people who have worked in/for a studio? How was the experience? What was your studio setup? what microphones did you use etc etc.

Or even people who Popcorn and Pretzels around with an EQ setting and a nice pair of headphones in your iPod. What is YOUR favourite EQ setting/pair of headphones?
Efion
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Fox

Re: Audiophile Anonymous.

Postby Efion » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:39 pm

Suppose I should reply to this, doing an Audio engineering degree and all!

Not done too much live sound in this degree yet, but we're gettin into it soon.

As for studios, the two i've worked in at College have had a Mackie 8 Bus and a Yamaha O2R Respectively. Preferred the Mackie myself, but the O2R is good too. There's a pretty big choice of mics, but so far the Sennheiser MD421 Seems to have worked for me on a lot of things it shouldn't have. Probably my favourite Mic right now.

The headphones I use at the moment are Shure SRH440's. I do want to get a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's, as apparently they're excellent for the price. Personally I find my Shures a little uncomfy on the head for long periods, but the sound is great!
Grand
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Aberration

Postby Grand » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:17 pm

I did 2 years of audio engineering as part of my high school studies. Best. Subject offer. Ever. Started doing most if not all live sound work for the school.

While I don't recall the equipment we were using, I can still remember it being a compact piece. A lot of linked channels. And balancing for people who don't realise what we're trying to do is awful.

"STOP TURNING UP THE EQUIPMENT ON STAGE WE'RE GETTING ENOUGH SIGNAL!"
"...I'm just gonna turn it up a little, I can't hear it!"
"That's what the monitors are for!"

I also did work experience at Angel Studios in Mt Gravatt, and pursued some personal work with a friend of mine, but its been a while.

As for my headphones, I'm just using a set of generic Sony pair. The price of being poor.

Out of curiousity Cal, where are you studying? JMC? SAE? How are the classes?
Efion
Newcomer
Newcomer

Audiophile Anonymous.

Postby Efion » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:39 pm

Suppose I should reply to this, doing an Audio engineering degree and all!

Not done too much live sound in this degree yet, but we're gettin into it soon.

As for studios, the two i've worked in at College have had a Mackie 8 Bus and a Yamaha O2R Respectively. Preferred the Mackie myself, but the O2R is good too. There's a pretty big choice of mics, but so far the Sennheiser MD421 Seems to have worked for me on a lot of things it shouldn't have. Probably my favourite Mic right now.

The headphones I use at the moment are Shure SRH440's. I do want to get a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's, as apparently they're excellent for the price. Personally I find my Shures a little uncomfy on the head for long periods, but the sound is great!
Grand
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Aberration

Audiophile Anonymous.

Postby Grand » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:17 pm

I did 2 years of audio engineering as part of my high school studies. Best. Subject offer. Ever. Started doing most if not all live sound work for the school.

While I don't recall the equipment we were using, I can still remember it being a compact piece. A lot of linked channels. And balancing for people who don't realise what we're trying to do is awful.

"STOP TURNING UP THE EQUIPMENT ON STAGE WE'RE GETTING ENOUGH SIGNAL!"
"...I'm just gonna turn it up a little, I can't hear it!"
"That's what the monitors are for!"

I also did work experience at Angel Studios in Mt Gravatt, and pursued some personal work with a friend of mine, but its been a while.

As for my headphones, I'm just using a set of generic Sony pair. The price of being poor.

Out of curiousity Cal, where are you studying? JMC? SAE? How are the classes?
Efion
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Efion » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:52 am

I'm studying at JMC, It's been pretty good so far! Most of the lecturers know what they're doing, and everyone there has an interesting take on things. Most of the gear is decent, or at very least functional (For the most part) and it's excellent being in an environment where you're around Performance/film students to collaborate on projects and assignments.
Efion
Newcomer
Newcomer

Audiophile Anonymous.

Postby Efion » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:52 am

I'm studying at JMC, It's been pretty good so far! Most of the lecturers know what they're doing, and everyone there has an interesting take on things. Most of the gear is decent, or at very least functional (For the most part) and it's excellent being in an environment where you're around Performance/film students to collaborate on projects and assignments.
Efion
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Efion » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Just got myself a new set of headphones, Denon AH-D2000's. They need time to burn in, but already I can tell they soind much better (and are much more comfortable <3) than the Shures.
Efion
Newcomer
Newcomer

Audiophile Anonymous.

Postby Efion » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:58 pm

Just got myself a new set of headphones, Denon AH-D2000's. They need time to burn in, but already I can tell they soind much better (and are much more comfortable <3) than the Shures.