Graphics tablets, is it worth getting a more expensive model

Show off your artwork, music, writing and fursuits, request critiques and get tips and tricks from other artists, musicians, writers and fursuiters here.
Flare Volkanian
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Mountain Dragon

Postby Flare Volkanian » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Ah, one of the small Bamboo models. Sounds good!

You should post some art here that you do with it once you've got the hang of it.[/quote]

Ok then I will!
Yoshi
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Undefined

Postby Yoshi » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:11 pm

It depends what you want to use it for. I have a wacom bamboo (one of the older first gen ones) and it does me pretty good. I use it for real work as part of my job, not as a hobbyist. But I only use it for dodging, burning, cloning, clipping etc in photoshop and fireworks. I've found it is no good for anything else I do, but I pretty much work only with vectors. I don't do any drawing or artwork so I can't really offer any recommendations in that regard.
jonathino001
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Chiroptera

Re: Graphics tablets, is it worth getting a more expensive m

Postby jonathino001 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:18 pm

I've read up a little bit on these graphics tablets and I always thought they'd be hard to use.

My question is how easy is it to use when you are drawing on the tablet, yet looking at the screen? would it be worth the extreme increase in price for a hybrid, AKA: tablet with a built-in screen?
Toraneko
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Graphics tablets, is it worth getting a more expensive m

Postby Toraneko » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:23 pm

jonathino001 wrote:I've read up a little bit on these graphics tablets and I always thought they'd be hard to use.

My question is how easy is it to use when you are drawing on the tablet, yet looking at the screen? would it be worth the extreme increase in price for a hybrid, AKA: tablet with a built-in screen?
There is a learning curve in transitioning from traditional art to drawing digitally with a tablet, and I find it varies from person to person, but I picked it up fairly quickly. The best advice I can give is to just practice a lot.

As for the second question, it depends how serious you are about it. If it's just a hobby, then it's definitely not worth it. I think for now the technology still isn't quite there, the precision isn't as good as a good tablet. In a few years that may be different though, but undoubtedly it'd still be expensive.
jonathino001
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Chiroptera

Postby jonathino001 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:18 pm

I've read up a little bit on these graphics tablets and I always thought they'd be hard to use.

Toraneko
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Toraneko » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:23 pm

My question is how easy is it to use when you are drawing on the tablet, yet looking at the screen? would it be worth the extreme increase in price for a hybrid, AKA: tablet with a built-in screen?[/quote]
There is a learning curve in transitioning from traditional art to drawing digitally with a tablet, and I find it varies from person to person, but I picked it up fairly quickly. The best advice I can give is to just practice a lot.

As for the second question, it depends how serious you are about it. If it's just a hobby, then it's definitely not worth it. I think for now the technology still isn't quite there, the precision isn't as good as a good tablet. In a few years that may be different though, but undoubtedly it'd still be expensive.
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: ►Vampire fox

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:16 am

I got a cheap $100 Bamboo tablet for my b day last year, It works like a charm and i've had no problems with it.
Also its nice to for beginners, so i would say just get a cheap bamboo tablet and you will be fine.
Everything you say or do has ripple effects....
Be the change you want to see in the world.