Your methods

Show off your artwork, music, writing and fursuits, request critiques and get tips and tricks from other artists, musicians, writers and fursuiters here.
jonathino001
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Chiroptera

Your methods

Postby jonathino001 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but it doesn't really fit into any other category, anyway here goes:

What methods do you use to create your art? Note I'm not referring to your style, just your method. I'll use mine as an example.

I came up with this recently so I still need to fine tune the technique. (I'm sure this has been done before so I don't take credit for the idea) but the basic idea is:
1) sketch your picture
2) ink the outline and around major parts to be separated
3) use pencil to shade and texture the entire picture
4) scan the image
5) open with image editing software (I use manga studio)
6) now this is a tricky part depending on the software you use. In manga studio, if you convert the layer to grayscale and select the option "do not reduce color" essentially what you get is not grayscale, but all-black with varying degree's of transparency. black will be black, white will be 100% transparent and 50-50 gray will be black with 50% transparency.
7) draw over your inked lines with black in a lower layer
8) use fill color to fill each section with the base color. the partially transparent sketch layer will automatically shade and texture your drawing for you, as you did in the original sketch.
9) do the final touch up's like shine. the sketch will only make the base color darker, lighter area's will have to be done manually
10) save, print, upload whatever!

I find I'm able to make very professional looking artwork this way, even though my drawing is not fantastic.

But what about you? how do you get your mind onto the page?
jonathino001
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Your methods

Postby jonathino001 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:18 pm

oh dang number 8 made a smiley... XD
Dread-Fox
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Shadow Fox

Postby Dread-Fox » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:25 pm

My method used to be to do a pencil sketch and then scan it and ink it digitally. But now my method is as follows:
1) Start up Paint Tool SAI
2) Do a rough sketch in a normal layer
3) Ink over it in a new Line Art layer
4) Colour
5) Start shading with the airbrush tool
6) Save as jpg
jonathino001
Newcomer
Newcomer

Your methods

Postby jonathino001 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but it doesn't really fit into any other category, anyway here goes:

What methods do you use to create your art? Note I'm not referring to your style, just your method. I'll use mine as an example.

I came up with this recently so I still need to fine tune the technique. (I'm sure this has been done before so I don't take credit for the idea) but the basic idea is:
1) sketch your picture
2) ink the outline and around major parts to be separated
3) use pencil to shade and texture the entire picture
4) scan the image
5) open with image editing software (I use manga studio)
6) now this is a tricky part depending on the software you use. In manga studio, if you convert the layer to grayscale and select the option "do not reduce color" essentially what you get is not grayscale, but all-black with varying degree's of transparency. black will be black, white will be 100% transparent and 50-50 gray will be black with 50% transparency.
7) draw over your inked lines with black in a lower layer
8) use fill color to fill each section with the base color. the partially transparent sketch layer will automatically shade and texture your drawing for you, as you did in the original sketch.
9) do the final touch up's like shine. the sketch will only make the base color darker, lighter area's will have to be done manually
10) save, print, upload whatever!

I find I'm able to make very professional looking artwork this way, even though my drawing is not fantastic.

But what about you? how do you get your mind onto the page?
jonathino001
Newcomer
Newcomer

Your methods

Postby jonathino001 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:18 pm

oh dang number 8 made a smiley... XD
Dread-Fox
Newcomer
Newcomer

Your methods

Postby Dread-Fox » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:25 pm

My method used to be to do a pencil sketch and then scan it and ink it digitally. But now my method is as follows:
1) Start up Paint Tool SAI
2) Do a rough sketch in a normal layer
3) Ink over it in a new Line Art layer
4) Colour
5) Start shading with the airbrush tool
6) Save as jpg
jonathino001
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby jonathino001 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:04 pm

Interesting. I'd never considered using the airbrush before, just doesn't seem precise enough. But I have an annoying habit of drawing everything, whether by hand or on a program, very small. I assume with a higher resolution you can be more accurate?
Dread-Fox
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Dread-Fox » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:14 pm

I usually work with a 800-900 by 1000-1200 canvas. This is a pretty good example of the type of shading I use http://dr38dn0ught.deviantart.com/galle ... 8#/d5l5dde
jonathino001
Newcomer
Newcomer

Your methods

Postby jonathino001 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:04 pm

Interesting. I'd never considered using the airbrush before, just doesn't seem precise enough. But I have an annoying habit of drawing everything, whether by hand or on a program, very small. I assume with a higher resolution you can be more accurate?
Dread-Fox
Newcomer
Newcomer

Your methods

Postby Dread-Fox » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:14 pm

I usually work with a 800-900 by 1000-1200 canvas. This is a pretty good example of the type of shading I use http://dr38dn0ught.deviantart.com/galle ... 8#/d5l5dde