How did you find out about the furry fandom?

For all things furry!
moonsinah
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: white wolf with crimson eyes

Postby moonsinah » Tue May 29, 2012 11:10 pm

Hell if I know how I found the fandom all i now is I love it
yamato_kitsune
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Kitsune

Postby yamato_kitsune » Tue May 29, 2012 11:19 pm

About 10 years ago, I was in Japan and read a manga that was at my homestay family and loved the artwork.Since then, I've been a furry and an anime fan.
Arien
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Wolf

Postby Arien » Tue May 29, 2012 11:31 pm

Through a Friend over the Internet.
Nothing too special really. Although the fact he is Gay (Got nothing against it) and I'm Straight.
pOunce
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Snow leopard

Postby pOunce » Wed May 30, 2012 4:11 am

I got into it when I was 17 coz my gf kept sending little gif anime pics of it on msn and I fell in love with furs and her all at the same time we are long parted and she is still a major part of the QLD scene but I'm in South Australia and its a bit more descrete here and hard to get into groups but should be going to 1 convention soon never been to 1 apart from private functions and other events that I've cought up with a few there let me know if any south Aussies want to catch up and have a chat and a chill I'm laid back and always up for fun :P live it up fellow furs and live the way you want to :) <3
Dayle Michalski
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Werewolf

Postby Dayle Michalski » Thu May 31, 2012 1:29 am

Well... this actually happened a very long time ago when i saw something incredible on TV. however, it was breif. i might not be allowed to describe this in whole because of it's level of sensitising. the scene was quite adult like, with two bunnies cuddling together next to a pillow against a windowed wall. the next thing i knew, i wanted to hope seeing more of that someday. i felt very glad. xD

And as a matter of fact, i did indeed get to. on behalf of being reminded after a good moment partying on Second Life with an interesting girl i was greeted by at a virtual nightclub, i discovered furries thus became one since that next month after. i was so enlightened with a reason to have times like never before. having yet to know about Fursuiting even then until two years ago. :)
Yaoihost_Kogenta
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: White Tiger

Postby Yaoihost_Kogenta » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:37 pm

I was introduced to the fandom in 1996 by Akeashar who I haven't seen for years.
Farway
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Western Dragon

Postby Farway » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:27 pm

How I found the fandom,
I drew a year planner full of dragons and dog anthro's, and a certain red-headed friend went:
"Dude, you're good as, such a furry though."
Googling helped (and destroyed my childhood), now I'm here.
Karoit
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Dingo

Postby Karoit » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:52 pm

I found my first furry artwork when I was just 16, while exploring the deep dark corners of the internet (losing my innocence in the process).
After a while I started to look into less adult furry artwork/literature. It then got to the point that it was such a part of my life that I joined a forum to talk about it with other who felt the same... And here I am.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Goat

Postby Wererstritchy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:37 am

My story is a little weird. Back in 1998 I was always interested in animals, it would be me and my brother's way of creativity, we'd all be different animals doing things we wished we'd want to do. I found a book depicting animals which were on an epic quest for... kites and so, being the little kid I was, asked for a kite so I too could go on an adventure as an animal.

Turns out that that's not how things work. At that point I got interested in werewolves, as they were a way to get infected with something that turns you into a wolf. Wolf wasn't my 'ideal' animal, but it was something I still thought I could try. Being anti-internet at that point, I read on books, but couldn't find much, that went on right through to 2007 when I got my first computer, with internet connection to boot. I finally got into werewolves, and was pretty much hit with the site Deviantart's massive collection of art.

I started reading transformation comics, and ended up on Kaerwyn as an RP. There I played my first anthro character, but I still didn't recognise myself as a furry, let alone know they existed. 2009 I FINALLY found out about the furry fandom, as in the full blown "oh hey... it's an actual fandom?" kind of dumb realisation. 2010 I tentatively stood into furry ground, stating myself as 'furry, but not extreme furry'. Even then I wasn't convinced. In fact it wasn't until about mid June when I finally said honestly to myself, 'Hey... I'm actually a furry," and believed myself. I'm somewhat stubborn that way.

So that's my 12 year orientation, 2 year trial, 1 month full membership of the furry fandom.
Rush
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Wolf

Postby Rush » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:03 am

Anthro animals had always been interesting to me. I remember my younger self being obsessed with movies like Robin Hood, Hoodwinked, etc, and I used to love games like Crash Bandicoot, Ratchet and Clank, and stuff like that. I don't know what it was about half-animal/half-humans, but I really liked them.

Fast-forward a few years to about May this year, and I happen to stumble upon a Furry blog on Tumblr. I liked the art, which lead me to do some Googling, to find out exactly what "Furry" was. I then found FurAffinity and a few other sites, all of them being pretty U.S. centric so far. I searched up something like "Australia furry" and eventually wound up here.

Like a lot of other people, I guess it was just a matter of discovering that there was a whole community behind all this.