Zootopia, a world for animals, by animals - Movie 2016

For all things furry!
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Goat

Postby Wererstritchy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Disney, finally, has set their eyes on making a movie that would perk the interest of many furries. I'm very late with this post, as news spread like wildfire. I mean, I took a week after the original notice was posted, jeez!

Besides my procrastination, there is news of what looks like a mesh of 2D and 3D animation for an animal world, (name pending) Zootopia.

http://www.slashfilm.com/walt-disney-animation-announces-zootopia-for-2016/#more-189025
http://www.slashfilm.com/walt-disney-animation-announces-zootopia-for-2016/#more-189025
And in case you missed it:

In the picture alone, I see a fox, a goat or a sheep, a yak, an elephant, a giraffe, a bear or two and... umm... lots and lots of rabbits.

But what I like most about this idea is that the concept art seems to be based on an accidental art style from the animated short 'paper man'. If anyone wants to see that, have a look for it on youtube, it's a neat animation style, trying to emulate the old disney wacky and exaggerated movements with an interesting end that doesn't care about the consequences.

The old style of 3D animation goes for extremely detailed scenery, but lacks the feel that a 2D animation has with its freedom and 'you betcha I'm your wildest fantasy' kind of impression that it gives. With the paperman, they used the best of 2 worlds, the basic building blocks of animation is all filled out by 3d, but the outlines is done by actual artistic lines, so all the contours of the movements, the characters and other aspects of the world are conveyed by the natural strokes of a steady hand, 3 or more years worth of an animator's degree, and who knows how many years of experience doing the animated cartoons that we have all seen at some point or another.

Here's that link again if you haven't seen it: http://www.slashfilm.com/walt-disney-animation-announces-zootopia-for-2016/#more-189025

Furthermore, the story isn't just about looks, but it's also about groups of animals, and different habitats that they all live in. This means that there is some sort of group seperation, different areas cater for different things, and species, which gets me interested in a few ideas. First of all would be living spaces. An elephant would definitely have more room, where as a rabbit, would be fine to have lots of them in the same area. Cups, glasses, plates, cutlery, vehicles, transport, cleaning products, branding, different styles of advertising, labels... just about everything has a possibility to be portrayed in this movie.

There are a few of these things that I'm interested in. What would the carnivores eat? Will little bambi-cute-eyes be on a plate when the carnivores eat, or will this aspect of the movie be overlooked completely? How will different species look at each other, or even if they have rumors, fairy tales or other things like that that the other species haven't even heard of, nor could even imagine them up? And more importantly, why can't I see this thing now? I am so keen to watch this movie ever since 'How to train your dragon' came out.

What do other people think of this movie? Do you think it will go well?
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: ►Vampire fox

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Yes i've seen this on facebook before, it's a shame it's going to be a long time till release.. I'll save my judgement until then but from looks alone it looks ok.

Also i never get my hopes high for movies if it turns to be a bust then nothing lost.. If it turns out to be fantastic as fantasia then that is unexpected and awesome!
Everything you say or do has ripple effects....
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Sebastian
Furstralian Fanatic
Furstralian Fanatic
Species: wallaby/chameleon hybrid

Postby Sebastian » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:35 pm

It's about time there were another fully-anthro feature film, and it's taken Disney since 1973 to realise that furries are a big enough target audience.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby Wererstritchy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:34 pm

Mind you, back in the day, we weren't such a good target audience. It was mostly aimed at kids... unless this was their ploy all along >.>
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: ►Vampire fox

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:12 pm

On second thought.. i think this should go well.

I often love Disney movies and this looks so great, just wish i knew more about the story. o3o
Everything you say or do has ripple effects....
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby Wererstritchy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:30 pm

We all do. Oh Disney, such a tease, but such great work.
snappyfox
King of the Foxes
King of the Foxes
Species: angel fox dragon hybrid

Postby snappyfox » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:05 pm

why am i only finding out about this now. damn my internet skills.
Sebastian
Furstralian Fanatic
Furstralian Fanatic
Species: wallaby/chameleon hybrid

Postby Sebastian » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:08 pm

You're not alone in that. Sad to say I usually learn things faster by word of mouth than off the 'net.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian

Re: Zootopia, a world for animals, by animals - Movie 2016

Postby Wererstritchy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:33 pm

1.5 years later... and we get it. We get a teaser trailer.

I can't tell you how excited I am to hear of this. It's super awesome to see the work finally come to fruition!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nP9hU8eUfE <-- Click here for your Zootopia trailer!

The teaser is out, I'm so happy. I want to see how this will work, and all the wonderful discussions that will come from this.
Furrhan Blackwood
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!
Species: Eastern Quoll

Re: Zootopia, a world for animals, by animals - Movie 2016

Postby Furrhan Blackwood » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:09 pm

I can't wait for this either! :D It looks like it's going to be great! I laughed so much at just the trailer! This is definitely going to be the new Robin Hood for the furry fandom. I'm seing fanart popping up all over the place now. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

"The best doesn't always happen, but you can make the best of what does happen. And if you can do that, you're gonna be happy." - Red Foo's dad.

Avatar drawn by the incredible Rick Griffin and coloured by the amazing Arty Stu!