Enhanced Senses - Gift or Curse?

For all things furry!
defblasta
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: lion

Re: Enhanced Senses - Gift or Curse?

Postby defblasta » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:31 pm

well i can read the writing on the bus from about a kilometer away, or make out individual tree branches on the next hilltop, but ive never had problems with bright light, if its a bit too dazzling i sometimes have to close my left eye. i can distinguish my individual friends belongings by smell, and i can hear most buzzings of screens, but my sense of smell is not nearly strong enough to mean that i can tell much other than whos house i am in or to smell belongings as above. hearing however is a problem, i can immitate lots of voices and sounds and singing to near perfect accuracy and i can hear most faint noises when i concentrate, but in a loud room, or when i am not concentrating i tend to not be able to hear things, like i have selective hearing or something, i am also often loud which has made me wonder if i am even a little deaf to not be able to hear my own voice.
defblasta
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: lion

Postby defblasta » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:31 am

well i can read the writing on the bus from about a kilometer away, or make out individual tree branches on the next hilltop, but ive never had problems with bright light, if its a bit too dazzling i sometimes have to close my left eye. i can distinguish my individual friends belongings by smell, and i can hear most buzzings of screens, but my sense of smell is not nearly strong enough to mean that i can tell much other than whos house i am in or to smell belongings as above. hearing however is a problem, i can immitate lots of voices and sounds and singing to near perfect accuracy and i can hear most faint noises when i concentrate, but in a loud room, or when i am not concentrating i tend to not be able to hear things, like i have selective hearing or something, i am also often loud which has made me wonder if i am even a little deaf to not be able to hear my own voice.
Sarketch
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Otter!

Postby Sarketch » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:01 am

Bird repellers sounds like fingernails down a chalkboard for me... And I'm not a bird. :\

it gets less and less annoying though. Mind you, I've lost a few sound tones recently.
Magnus
Furstralian Fanatic
Furstralian Fanatic
Species: Red Fox

Postby Magnus » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:36 am

The thing I have a problem with is the electonic things you get for your car that repel kangaroos. . .
Sarketch
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Otter!

Postby Sarketch » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:01 pm

Bird repellers sounds like fingernails down a chalkboard for me... And I'm not a bird. :\

it gets less and less annoying though. Mind you, I've lost a few sound tones recently.
Magnus
Furstralian Fanatic
Furstralian Fanatic
Species: Red Fox

Postby Magnus » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:36 pm

The thing I have a problem with is the electonic things you get for your car that repel kangaroos. . .
nagchampa
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby nagchampa » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:07 am

While I think in many cases "enhanced" senses are more a case of a person having less loss of a sense then the general public, there are some quirky sense related issues that can come up.

Unfortunately, part of the human development, that part of use that became aware and could think critically took precedence over a need for really good senses. In many ways, we're following along a path that has been hinted at throughout history, eventually becoming less and less reliant on our physical bodies to exist. Look at Stephen Hawking. Brilliant physicist, probably the most famous scientist of the last century, after Einstein, and one of the greatest minds in the world on the nature of space & time, and the nature of blackholes.

But physically, the man is stuck in a wheelchair, with 24 hour attention.

Anyway, that's off track, back to the fact we are stuck in our bodies for now, think about these interesting facts.

As I understand it, studies have shown that the sense of smell is most directly linked to our memories. It's like our memories can be indexed by certain smells, and why you can smell something you haven't smelled in years and it can bring back a sense of familiarity.

Also, I've read somewhere that certain tastes can only be detected by certain people. For instance, I can not stand celery. As soon as it's on my tongue, I start to gag, and if bit into it and the juice goes in my mouth, it's even worse. But many people who see me react like that think I'm nuts because to them, celery has no flavour, or a very mild one.

Hearing is a strange one. Depending on the frequency, there is a volume at the threshold of hearing (quietest volume) and one at the threshold of pain(highest). So the threshold of hearing marks the lowest volume you can hear that frequency at, while the threshold of pain marks the highest volume you will be able to hear it at without it causing you physical pain.

Obviously these ranges are different from person to person, with many people losing high frequency hearing through their lives (not all thought).

The frequencies at the extremes of our hearing (generally for a human, the lowest is around 20Hz while the highest is around 20,000Hz) have not much difference between the threshold of hearing and the threshold of pain, with the highest frequency we can hear not being audible below the threshold of pain. That is why high frequency sounds, no matter the volume, can cause discomfort in people.

I've also seen another documentary about the fact that the frequency range of our hearing isn't the same range that has an effect on our body. Low frequencies, below the audible range of hearing can have a discomforting effect on people. Even though we can't hear them, they have been shown to make people become uncomfortable, frightened, fidgety, etc. It's not much of a stretch to imagine that high frequency sounds we can't audibly hear can still have an effect that we can become aware of.

The physical makeups of the human ear and other sensory organs do have constraints on them though, and bar an accident in nature, a human will never be able to achieve the same hearing as a dog, or be able to perceive UV or IR light by naked site (far IR light (farther away from the visible spectrum) can be felt as heat in many cases).

Interestingly, it is the IR light from the sun that causes sunlight's warmth, while it is the UV light that burns us. The skin can detect IR light as heat, but it is sensitive on a chemical level to UV light, which is why it produces melanin, which absorbs it. It is also why it may be quite cool outside, but you can still get badly sunburnt.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, just thought I'd add some of the quirks I understood about human senses.

Maybe I'll add something later about what I consider senses beyond the usual 5 physical sense...
nagchampa
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby nagchampa » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:07 am

While I think in many cases "enhanced" senses are more a case of a person having less loss of a sense then the general public, there are some quirky sense related issues that can come up.

Unfortunately, part of the human development, that part of use that became aware and could think critically took precedence over a need for really good senses. In many ways, we're following along a path that has been hinted at throughout history, eventually becoming less and less reliant on our physical bodies to exist. Look at Stephen Hawking. Brilliant physicist, probably the most famous scientist of the last century, after Einstein, and one of the greatest minds in the world on the nature of space & time, and the nature of blackholes.

But physically, the man is stuck in a wheelchair, with 24 hour attention.

Anyway, that's off track, back to the fact we are stuck in our bodies for now, think about these interesting facts.

As I understand it, studies have shown that the sense of smell is most directly linked to our memories. It's like our memories can be indexed by certain smells, and why you can smell something you haven't smelled in years and it can bring back a sense of familiarity.

Also, I've read somewhere that certain tastes can only be detected by certain people. For instance, I can not stand celery. As soon as it's on my tongue, I start to gag, and if bit into it and the juice goes in my mouth, it's even worse. But many people who see me react like that think I'm nuts because to them, celery has no flavour, or a very mild one.

Hearing is a strange one. Depending on the frequency, there is a volume at the threshold of hearing (quietest volume) and one at the threshold of pain(highest). So the threshold of hearing marks the lowest volume you can hear that frequency at, while the threshold of pain marks the highest volume you will be able to hear it at without it causing you physical pain.

Obviously these ranges are different from person to person, with many people losing high frequency hearing through their lives (not all thought).

The frequencies at the extremes of our hearing (generally for a human, the lowest is around 20Hz while the highest is around 20,000Hz) have not much difference between the threshold of hearing and the threshold of pain, with the highest frequency we can hear not being audible below the threshold of pain. That is why high frequency sounds, no matter the volume, can cause discomfort in people.

I've also seen another documentary about the fact that the frequency range of our hearing isn't the same range that has an effect on our body. Low frequencies, below the audible range of hearing can have a discomforting effect on people. Even though we can't hear them, they have been shown to make people become uncomfortable, frightened, fidgety, etc. It's not much of a stretch to imagine that high frequency sounds we can't audibly hear can still have an effect that we can become aware of.

The physical makeups of the human ear and other sensory organs do have constraints on them though, and bar an accident in nature, a human will never be able to achieve the same hearing as a dog, or be able to perceive UV or IR light by naked site (far IR light (farther away from the visible spectrum) can be felt as heat in many cases).

Interestingly, it is the IR light from the sun that causes sunlight's warmth, while it is the UV light that burns us. The skin can detect IR light as heat, but it is sensitive on a chemical level to UV light, which is why it produces melanin, which absorbs it. It is also why it may be quite cool outside, but you can still get badly sunburnt.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, just thought I'd add some of the quirks I understood about human senses.

Maybe I'll add something later about what I consider senses beyond the usual 5 physical sense...
UnderDrag
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Dragon

Postby UnderDrag » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:03 am

I have the hearing.

I can hear a disc spinning in a dvd player, when the movie is going loud, a disc in a cd player, with it on.
And the CRT? ARGH! Annoying as hell.
"What the hell's that noise?" *crt sounds*
"WHat noise?"
"That one, the high pitched noise."
"I don't hear anything."

The story of my life.

Also annoying is, when you re-record a music file, and the sound degrades, that 'roughness' drives me insane.

Nothing else special about me.
UnderDrag
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Dragon

Postby UnderDrag » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:03 pm

I have the hearing.

I can hear a disc spinning in a dvd player, when the movie is going loud, a disc in a cd player, with it on.
And the CRT? ARGH! Annoying as hell.
"What the hell's that noise?" *crt sounds*
"WHat noise?"
"That one, the high pitched noise."
"I don't hear anything."

The story of my life.

Also annoying is, when you re-record a music file, and the sound degrades, that 'roughness' drives me insane.

Nothing else special about me.