Postby topher » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:39 pm

i can hear pudding
kasarn
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Wolf

Re: Enhanced Senses - Gift or Curse?

Postby kasarn » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:35 pm

UnderDrag wrote:Also annoying is, when you re-record a music file, and the sound degrades, that 'roughness' drives me insane.
Then you're doing it wrong.
I can only guess that the bit rate is too low. The 64-128kbps default in many media players is set by the marketing team, not the developers.
kasarn
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Wolf

Enhanced Senses - Gift or Curse?

Postby kasarn » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:35 pm

Also annoying is, when you re-record a music file, and the sound degrades, that 'roughness' drives me insane.[/quote]Then you're doing it wrong.
I can only guess that the bit rate is too low. The 64-128kbps default in many media players is set by the marketing team, not the developers.
Anti
Oldschool Furstralian
Oldschool Furstralian

Postby Anti » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:45 pm

UnderDrag wrote: And the CRT? ARGH! Annoying as hell.
tell me about it. i'm glad they're finally being replaced by LCD screens in NSW schools. i used to get headaches all the time. though computer CRTs weren't so bad. it was mostly the TVs
Anti
Oldschool Furstralian
Oldschool Furstralian

Postby Anti » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:45 pm

And the CRT? ARGH! Annoying as hell.
[/quote]
tell me about it. i'm glad they're finally being replaced by LCD screens in NSW schools. i used to get headaches all the time. though computer CRTs weren't so bad. it was mostly the TVs
UnderDrag
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Dragon

Postby UnderDrag » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:43 am

And what about the fluorescent lights? That hum! ArGH!LxmoawDH <?>=<?M>?!@!@ #!@#$>@#5@#%

Sorry. I went crazy for a moment. Sitting in a room all day, listening to those things.... can do that to you. I'm out now, but still suffering the effects.
UnderDrag
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Dragon

Postby UnderDrag » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:43 am

And what about the fluorescent lights? That hum! ArGH!LxmoawDH =?!@!@ #!@#$>@#5@#%

Sorry. I went crazy for a moment. Sitting in a room all day, listening to those things.... can do that to you. I'm out now, but still suffering the effects.
roland_perteev
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Black Backed Jackal

Postby roland_perteev » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:47 pm

I'd love to see a caffeine intake vs. perceived enhanced senses chart...

Well, at least in my case, caffeine reduces my ability to screen things out. For example, after a lot of coffee, the high-pitched whining of the TV drives me nuts, so I am clearly able to perceive it, but when I'm not caffeined-up I don't notice it, which I can only assume is because my mind screens it out.

That is, I can't hear it until I turn the TV around so it's back is facing me. But since I don't generally watch TV that way, it doesn't bother me until I get my grubby little paws on a packet of Jamaica Blue.

As for fluorescent lights, I'm never overly comfortable around them, though I can't really put my finger on why.

And at one point I swore that I had superhuman eyes because I could see the refresh in my 75HZ monitor (looking straight at it that is, anyone can see it in their periphery). Turned out that the monitor was simply on the blink. Oh, well.

But I can safely say that I have a pretty good sense of taste and smell (with or without my beloved 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine). I'm first to know if the milk's even thinking of turning sour, and I can smell a potato from a mile off.
roland_perteev
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Black Backed Jackal

Postby roland_perteev » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:47 pm

I'd love to see a caffeine intake vs. perceived enhanced senses chart...

Well, at least in my case, caffeine reduces my ability to screen things out. For example, after a lot of coffee, the high-pitched whining of the TV drives me nuts, so I am clearly able to perceive it, but when I'm not caffeined-up I don't notice it, which I can only assume is because my mind screens it out.

That is, I can't hear it until I turn the TV around so it's back is facing me. But since I don't generally watch TV that way, it doesn't bother me until I get my grubby little paws on a packet of Jamaica Blue.

As for fluorescent lights, I'm never overly comfortable around them, though I can't really put my finger on why.

And at one point I swore that I had superhuman eyes because I could see the refresh in my 75HZ monitor (looking straight at it that is, anyone can see it in their periphery). Turned out that the monitor was simply on the blink. Oh, well.

But I can safely say that I have a pretty good sense of taste and smell (with or without my beloved 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine). I'm first to know if the milk's even thinking of turning sour, and I can smell a potato from a mile off.