For all things furry!
BlackGnosis
Oldschool Furstralian
Oldschool Furstralian
Species: Anthro Skunk

Re: Segregation in the furry fandom

Postby BlackGnosis » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:34 pm

more cheap shots anyone?

I can remember at job corps we were pretty closely watched, didnt have much variation on uniform, so what did we do?? we bonded VIA trade and gave everyone else crap about what they did, cause we really didnt have much to go on to pick on otherwise.
Heres some examples of the well known trades and their nicknames withing JC..

Kitchen bitches - New people, about 90% went though working in a kitchen.
Glass breakers - Glazers
Nail benders - Carpenters
PLasterbaters - Plastering
Ass wipers - Nursing & MA's
Torch monkeys - Welding
Paper cuts - I dun remember the official trade name =/
Office bitches - Office assistants
we didn't really have a name for them, we just didn't let them touch our computers =D - Computer service

We had groups of people come in at a time, we called them "input brothers and Input sisters"
Anyone who failed urinalysis were called "weedies" and drama queens "star kids" [Star kid was unique to my job corp as it described a location where the drama queens gathered which had a large cement star cut out where a tree grew, this was later filled in to discourage people from calling drama queens star kids.]
anyone who was meeting the input groups that came in were called "Tuesday shoppers" usually guys looking to get themselves a piece of ass...if she was really young you'd add on "and get a loli discount"

just a sample of if one group cant pick on their normal slew of things we'll find another =D
BlackGnosis
Oldschool Furstralian
Oldschool Furstralian
Species: Anthro Skunk

Segregation in the furry fandom

Postby BlackGnosis » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:34 pm

more cheap shots anyone?

I can remember at job corps we were pretty closely watched, didnt have much variation on uniform, so what did we do?? we bonded VIA trade and gave everyone else crap about what they did, cause we really didnt have much to go on to pick on otherwise.
Heres some examples of the well known trades and their nicknames withing JC..

Kitchen bitches - New people, about 90% went though working in a kitchen.
Glass breakers - Glazers
Nail benders - Carpenters
PLasterbaters - Plastering
Ass wipers - Nursing & MA's
Torch monkeys - Welding
Paper cuts - I dun remember the official trade name =/
Office bitches - Office assistants
we didn't really have a name for them, we just didn't let them touch our computers =D - Computer service

We had groups of people come in at a time, we called them "input brothers and Input sisters"
Anyone who failed urinalysis were called "weedies" and drama queens "star kids"
anyone who was meeting the input groups that came in were called "Tuesday shoppers" usually guys looking to get themselves a piece of ass...if she was really young you'd add on "and get a loli discount"

just a sample of if one group cant pick on their normal slew of things we'll find another =D
Happydeath
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Unspecified Canid

Postby Happydeath » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:57 pm

Well segregation through the standard definition is a given, it happens everywhere and is contributed towards by everyone. Whats the point of complete unification of furries?
The 'sects' (If you will) occur naturally to separate interests/age/locations etc. If you lumped everyone together then people won't form relationships because there wouldn't be enough points of interest to contain them...so they'd talk to other people and they'd form groups, which is segregation =P
Anyway thats as a 'perfect world' model of what happens, the reality is everyone in the fandom mingles with each other, they may stick around people who suit them more but most people have connections and friendships with other furs that one would not usually connect or with other people who would normally be considered 'enemies' (Like all my friends are /b/tards and often say things like 'damn furries' or 'yiff in hell' yet they will comment/critique my art and genuinely couldn't care less about me being a furry) The point is that on the surface it seems like the segregation is deeper than what it really is. If a babyfur and a casual-fur (if its not a real term then it is now =P) were put in the same room surrounded by normal people then I think the two 'furries' would be more than happy to be friends as they are less 'segregated' then the surrounding people.
As for how it appears to the general public I think people would actually be more respectful to a group if they seem like a community, different sects united under a common interest, its more inviting then if everyone appears to be interested in everything which comes off as somewhat ignorant as interests would clash, conflict and become invalid. Also as loose of a connection as it is that vision reminds me of a cult, people feigning happiness and acceptance to try and appeal to a mass audience.
I hope thats coherent, i'm not in the mood to proof-read =P Anyway, the questions

1) Without the existence of the furry community, what would you guess the chances of meeting someone with a similar aesthetic alignment to your own be?

Slim, although I would feel more inclined to be open about my art as there would be no negative connotations towards the anthropomorphic characters so that could lead to an increased chance of meeting someone.

2) Do you think that an internally segregated community provides a better public image than say a unified one?

I don't think total unification has ever resulted in anything good for either the individual or the group. Plus I don't think public image is of any concern. If a person is a furry then they'll know it and will end up associating with the fandom somehow, what everyone else thinks is irrelevant.

3) If you answered no to the previous question, yet still participate in groups that promote division or exclusive membership, why do choose to? Do you just not care what our public image is, or are you trying to drive away people that may be interested in joining our subculture? If you answered yes to question 2, why?

Well here is where segregation comes in useful, if our public image is unified then I feel that anyone who seeks to pursue their interests may be discouraged, thinking furries may be shallow or only interested in a single division where-as if its shown that the community is made up of like-minded groups then the whole fandom may be easily accessible. This kinda sounds like I am encouraging segregation but I think that where the fandom is at the moment is good. I feel people can easily find their niche once they know the basics of the furry community/internet. We're all connected, its not like every fur is stuck to a certain group, although some chose to be, I believe that most can enjoy or at least partake in the entire community.

4) What is the difference between a clique and a segregated group?

A clique occurs among a much larger, more generalized group like age or race by which they associate with because of those basic facts. A segregation occurs more by interest than by circumstance.

Sorry for the length =D
topher
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: White Tiger yo!

Postby topher » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:04 pm

1) i dont really understand the question so ill just say pass

2)it may sound odd but YEAH! cause i dont like the yiffy part of the fandom but i do love the friendly part. and there are also (i may get a little preachy here) furry christians and thats part of what brought me into the fandom

4)a clique is a group where the people are chosen to be in the group and a segregated group is one that people choose to be in (like me being a christian furry)
kry
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Lynx

Postby kry » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:11 pm

The furry community doesn't really have any discrepencies socially - ie between us casually.

They are deeper.

Not associating with another group or clique is usually because you morally disagree with them, ie babyfurs.
Chrys
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Civet X Jungle Cat

Postby Chrys » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:43 am

Firstly, wow thread ressurection!
now back to topic:
I think in the end segregation may be what saves us from those who wish to cause us ill. If the furries that do not indulge in practises frowned upon by the general public are segregated from those that do, then the media should have no backing to attack the fandom as a whole.
Seperation of groups can mean that even if half them get cut down the one the remain can go on, natural selection in action.
kry
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby kry » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:56 pm

You can't stop the segregation between us, because it's often on moral grounds (ie. cub)
Joey
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Coonfox

Postby Joey » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:41 pm

Isnt segregation in large groups human nature?
kry
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby kry » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:50 pm

Isnt segregation in large groups human nature?[/quote]

Yeah
Daz
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Canine

Re: Segregation in the furry fandom

Postby Daz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:56 pm

It's good to keep and open mind towards EVERYTHING, because you never know what will happen.