Easy ways to cook, who wants to show recipes?

For anything that refuses to fit anywhere else!
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Goat

Postby Wererstritchy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:00 am

Hey, I've noticed that when I worry, I cook a lot, and my housemate just told me that my food smells awesome, and asked for some, since he was pretty much broke.

I did give him some, and noticed that others who I skype with often drool over my food creations. One of them I told how to make a really easy modification to existing easy food, and they were like 'OMG MUST DO IT!'

So... question time... would people like to see a recipe every now and then?

I'll post instructions on how to cook the food, time to cook, utensils needed, and the cost of the items. And if I'm fortunate enough to have a camera, I could take a photo or two to show the steps.

For the most part, I just do simple additions to pre-existing food, because it's cheap, and still very easy to do and it's not completely from scratch. For example:

I went to noodle box, got rice, chicken and capsicum with thai sauce, in a regular box for $11.60.
I went home, poured it across three bowls.
Pulled out a can of peas and corn that cost me $1.
Mixed it up, and refrigerated the two other bowls.

That's $12.60 for three meals, $3.20 per meal with rice, peas, corn, capsicum and chicken in a stirfry with thai sauce. Or if you eat a lot more than that, it's two meals, but that's still incredibly cheap, seeing as they charge 50c each for peas and corn for something a third of the size.

All it took me was the wait for the food, and the effort of mixing in peas and corn when I got home. To me, and my housemate, that was kinda cool, and we frequently do that now. It doesn't seem like much, but when you're on a tight budget, and still want to go out, this kind of thing is what makes everything awesome.

Do people want me to post more of these creations? Or suggest some of their own?
Slyboom
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Slyboom » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Genius. I like getting Mi Goreng, and adding bacon. Bacon makes it gud. Also nice as a sandwich, some people don't like it on bread though, it just makes it more filling I find.
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: ►Vampire fox

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:29 pm

Dude post some more, I'm getting kicked out into my own place soon and i need some cooking recipes asap. :D
Everything you say or do has ripple effects....
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby Wererstritchy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Well...

Mac'n'cheese and tuna combo.

Get a $1 or 90c can of tuna of your preferred taste, and mac'n'cheese.
Make your mac'n'cheese, add tuna. It increases the cost, but it's a quick way to get some meat into a meal.

Do you need a place to stay? Are you alright?
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:09 pm

I've got an old broken trailer to stay in with electricity for now (Unsure how long i will be staying here). And i must buy and cook my own things. So thanks for the knowledge.

As for what i've been eating well.. It's just been Satay Chicken with vegetables and rice, rice, rice, rice, rice, and rice for the past week. At least I'm skinny now, Hahaa. :3
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby Wererstritchy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 pm

Do you need a place to stay?
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:17 pm

Nah I'm good for now, barely afloat but still kicking.
Worse comes to worse i will go to the city and crash at a few places.

Yet again thanks for being concerned of others though.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby Wererstritchy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Okay, if you're sure. I do have a place you can stay in if you want, mind you, I live in Toowoomba, not Brissy.

Also, SunRice meals tend to be pretty good for the price they give. As long as you have either a microwave, or a pan to boil water in.

In Toowoomba, they're $4 each, include a container (reusable, microwave safe), and a spoon for eating with. The reason I suggest this microwaveable meal is because other ones I've tried tend to be either too watery, or too flavourless, and no cutlery. This one just happens to be the best I can see on a price vs. food ratio.

Also, this may be slightly more pricy, but peanut butter and beetroot on toast is very tasty.
Sebastian
Furstralian Fanatic
Furstralian Fanatic
Species: wallaby/chameleon hybrid

Postby Sebastian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:46 pm

I'm difficult to feed being a herbivore by choice and gluten-alergic thanks to the stupidity of a doctor. However I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Talinart
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Lynx

Postby Talinart » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:19 pm

Frozen vegetables are also a pretty good way to get some greenery into your diet as they are easy to cook, readily available year round, and can be quite cheap. Dress them up with a little oil/butter/margarine and some salt for a simple, cheap meal, or as a side dish.

Then of course, you can't pass up the hunger busting power of the jaffle - block cheese and tomato, ham, chicken, or tinned asparagus; or for a more robust filling - a small tin of beans, spaghetti or mushrooms.