Easy ways to cook, who wants to show recipes?

For anything that refuses to fit anywhere else!
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: ►Vampire fox

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 pm

I'm difficult to feed being a herbivore by choice and gluten-alergic thanks to the stupidity of a doctor. [/quote]

That's good (Not the doctor thing) but your eating habbits, it's bound to be healthier.
Also thank you guys i will finally have something new to nom on instead of rice.
Everything you say or do has ripple effects....
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Goat

Postby Wererstritchy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:17 am

I'm difficult to feed being a herbivore by choice and gluten-alergic thanks to the stupidity of a doctor. However I'll keep an eye on this thread.[/quote]
That's fine, half my family is gluten intolerant. I'm used to stuff like that. When I get around to it, I'll have some other meals made up that are gluten free. I try to avoid gluten when and where I can, as well as Dairy too.
Sebastian
Furstralian Fanatic
Furstralian Fanatic
Species: wallaby/chameleon hybrid

Postby Sebastian » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:48 pm

Excellent!
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby Wererstritchy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:15 pm

Sorry for not posting here. I was going to take photos of me cooking, but I was pretty upset when cooking, so I forgot.

Here's what I used:
1x onion, brown
500g, minced meat, lean.
1x carrot, large
1x can of peas and corn
1x jar of dolmio's sauce, romanian cheese
1x cup of rice.
1x tablespoon of salt.
1x tablespoon of oil.

3 bowls,
1 sieve,
1 frying pan
1 large pot
1 cutting knife
2 wooden spoons (one for the meat and vegetables, one for the rice.)
1 tablespoon
1 cup.

7-10 chinese food storage containers.

What I did.

1)First of all, I got the food prep done. I cut up the carrot, drained the peas and corn and put them all into a bowl, then I cut up the onion, put that into another bowl. And also make sure that you open that jar ahead of time. It will become a nightmare if you try to open it later, only to have your meat burn because it was difficult.

2)Now to start the rice cooking. If it cooks slowly, then rice doesn't burn and stick to the bottom.

3)I got the rice into a small bowl, sloshed it around with a little water. The water will turn milky white. Pour into a sieve and then repeat 2-3 times (you can skip this step if you want)

4)Pour in the rice, then add two times the water in with the rice, into a large pot. Set to highest heat to get water to boil, stir continuously.

5)Take a small break from the stirring when it starts to heat up and add the salt, stiring it in. (be sure this is salt, not sugar, I made that mistake before.) When the pot gets to boiling, turn the head down to '2' or '3' o'clock (the position you'd find on the clock). Make sure to stir from time to time to make sure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom. Keep the lid on so that the rice steams up nicely, but leave it a little ajar, or else it will bubble over.

6)Next, I poured the oil onto the frying pan, turning the head up to high. I tilt the pan from side to side to make the oil cover the base, and it also shows me how hot the pan is, by how fast the oil moves from one spot to the other. When it's runny like water, then you know you're good to go.

7)Add onion, and stir it until it starts to burn a little. (turn brown, or what's called 'browning').

8)After stirring a little bit, make sure you stir that rice again! If the water's gone, add more.

9)Back to the onion. If it's browning, time to add the meat. Make sure you try to sepearate the chunks. If you feel you're a bit slow at doing this, turn the heat down to avoid burning the meat. Seperate it best as you can, into the small minced meat peices you see in a burrito, taco, or if you can't imagine that, like the rice is.

10)Speaking of which, stir that rice! Make sure you go along all the sides, and along the bottom. you really don't want anything to stick! If the water's gone, add another cup, trust me.

11)When the meat is browned, and there's no more red bits on the meat, now's the time to open the jar (which you did in advance. if you didn't, turn that stove down before it's too late!) pour the sauce in and stir it into the meat. You'll find that there's a little left in the jar. Pour a little bit of water, about a tablespoon, into the jar, close it, shake it up, and pour the remainder into the mix.

12)Stir that rice again! Remember to add water if there's none left.

13)Mix the sauce, stirring it around, if you turned the stove down, you can turn it back up again. When the sauce has simmered for a few minutes, making sure you swap between the rice and the meat, you pour in all the vegetables. All of them.

14)Stir again for a few minutes, alternating between the rice and the meat, then turn the meat down to low, like the rice.

15)Here comes the tricky bit, so take your time on this, and don't rush, or it will make a very large mess. Turn off the stove as well, so you don't burn anything, and give everything a good luck stir. You're going to drain the rice. If you've managed to make the rice fine, and don't have excess amounts of water, you can skip this step! Get your sieve, and a bowl, scoop some rice into it, drain then decant into another bowl (it's okay to reuse the other bowls). Repeat this until all the rice is drained, then put it all back into the pot.

16) pour the meat mix into the rice in the pot. This is why you use a big pot, so if you cheated, sorry but this is your punishment. You can put in rice and the meat separately to serve up, or if this is for a meal where you dish out your rice and meat separately, you can keep them separate. Mix it up one more time.

17) I pour the result into containers to freeze them for later meals, as I don't have time to cook sometimes, and so these are really handy meals. Make sure that as soon as you pour them into the containers, close them up to keep the moisture in.

Tips:

Vegetarians, you can stir-fry vegetables in the onion instead of the meat, broccoli, celery, carrots, snow peas, capsicum, eggplant, cucumber and sometimes cherry tomatoes are my favourite types. If you want it to stir-fry fast, cut them small, otherwise make sure they're thin so that they cook, but not stew or burn. You will have to maintain high heat the whole time.

Pasta lovers: you can use pasta, doing the same techniques as above, but you can use a strainer instead of a sieve if you want as the pasta's much bigger than rice.

Other uses: You can use the meat mix for burritos or wraps, or even sandwich filling if you feel like it. Just don't cook the rice. (or if you do like the rice with it, go ahead).

You can swap in or out things as you please. This is just how I cook food on the fly.
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:33 am

As allways thanks Stritchy for being helpful and i hope you feel better soon man.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby Wererstritchy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:05 pm

No worries.

Currently I have a small, long-term project that I'm working on.

When I was at the convention, I brought my own food so that I wouldn't spend so much on feeding myself. I packed what I knew would be the easiest things to prepare so that I could eat on the fly with little issue. It turns out that it was a good idea for the time as I had very little time to do any food preparations. However, I would have loved to actually COOKED some food during my stay, so now, I'm working on small ideas here and there to see if I can cook and prepare foods inside a hotel room, using only minimal equipment.

Has anyone got ideas on what they'd like to see done or tried?

This is my attempt at making sushi in 'hotel restrictive environments' with mixed results. Note that I did not use any instructions, so I may be making things incorrectly.

Just remember that space and equipment in a hotel room during a con is limited, you may want to prepare some of this stuff before you go, or even make this before you even leave for the con. These are handy foods that can be eaten cold, perfect for a snack if need be.

Ingredients and tools that I used (meaning that you can change this if you don't like it):
rice
salt
A small can of flavoured tuna
a boiling jug (this will be the only thing that belongs to the hotel, and the water that goes with it)
a placemat x 2 (just in case)
a bamboo mat (for rolling sushi)
a spoon (metal)
a sheet of roast seaweed (yaki nori)
a chinese container
a watch/stopwatch (not necessary, but certainly handy)
Can opener (if you need one for the tuna)

Cooking time 1.5 hours or more

1) First I boiled the jug, while that's boiling I got everything else ready.

2) Placed down the placemat, I only used that as a basis for where I could put things, as there is not that much of a counter in the hotel.

3) I put my chinese container on the far corner of the mat, poured in 10 spoons of rice, and a little sprinkle of salt. I then mixed the result just to kill time. You will have a LOT of spare time.

4) when the jug is boiled, you pour in just enough to cover the rice, as you'll use a lot of water as well. Give the result a stir, then quickly, but carefully, seal the container

5) Set your timer to 10 minutes.

6) Do anything that you want to do. If you want to prepare other things for your sushi roll, feel free, and take your time to do it right. With such a small space, taking care with what you do will reduce mess and frustration. Some tips for what can be done in this step will be listed below.

7) When your timer is up, carefully pry open one edge. !!!! It shouldn't be too hot, but be careful, this did just have boiling water in it !!!!

8) start boiling the jug again, the next part will take a while.

9) Gently pour out the water from the rice down the sink in the bathroom. It will take a bit as you're doing it slowly to stop the rice from escaping. Remember to be careful. It shouldn't be hot, but just in case, use caution.

10) Repeat steps 4-9 until the rice is at a suitable stage. This is very slow, I know, but this is working in minimal conditions.

11) When the rice is ready, drain the rice extra well, this will help. Open up the container and let it air dry for about 10-15 mins. Add a little salt afterwards for taste, not too much, and stir it through the rice.

*Rice is prepared, you may stop here, and simply add tuna, vegetables, sauce and other stuff to it if you so wish and have it as a meal there and then. I'll highlight some options below.

Sushi:

1) Make sure your hands, and the bamboo mat are dry before you start. Spread out the bamboo mat and place a sheet of seaweed, shiny side down.

2) Leaving about a 1.5 cm gap from all edges, cover up to halfway down the sheet with rice, make sure you level it out smoothly so it's not more than 0.5 cm high. (If you're really lazy, you can mix in the ingredients with the rice beforehand, then skip until step 4)

3) AFTER draining your additions, portion them out across your sushi. Using the 3.14 ratio of pi, only put a third of other ingredients compared to the rice you have, approximating the same level as the rice. Take your time, as things will star to crumble if you're not careful.

4) Using the bamboo mat for equal pressure, roll the filled end of the sheet slowly, to try and curl the rice and seaweed into a tube. This is tricky, so take your time, or practice before hand. As you get to the end of the sheet, dip your spoon or finger in water, or tuna oil, whatever is handy, really, and rub it along the edge before closing it, this will help seal the sushi roll.

5) Now let it sit there for a little bit, clean up any mess you made during the process while not touching the roll.

You have made a sushi roll. If you thought that was hard, try eating it without a plate!

You can use the following additions:
Peas
Corn
Diced beetroot
carrot (diced or shredded)
celery (sliced)
zucchini
capsicum
tomato
cucumber
alfalfa
beans
Red onion

You can use the following as sauces:
Mayonnaise
Soya sauce (be careful, this makes a mess! If you want to avoid this, look for a thickened soya sauce, if possible, it will still stain if you're not careful.)
Sweet chilli
Tusk
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Tusk » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:04 pm

OMG awesome, these sound like decent meals. Mind if I add some of my creations later?

Also mi goreng (or "the reng" as it is fondly know in our household) is just evil. but in a good way. Try cracking two eggs into a container and adding them to the cooking mi goreng (in microwave, not sure when to add if doing it on a stove) with about 1-1.10 minutes to go. Eggs will poach and will have tasty egg bits and a lovely thick yoke to thicken the sauce.
"Dumbness causes pain"
"Shhhh. My common sense is tingling"
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby Wererstritchy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:25 pm

Yes! You can show them here, I encourage you to do so! Here's my addition. I had a few challenge ingredients this time, off milk, creamed corn and a potato.

A few notes before we cringe, milk goes off because the bacteria makes it start to smell, if it was not homogenised and pasteurised, this would almost invariably lead to food poisoning. Because i am using the homogenised and pasteurised milk, and it's the first day it expired, if i cook it to boiling point, it is safe enough to use in cooking, preferably pastries or baked goods, though. I do not recommend this for continual use, however, in a pinch, it's fine. Now to actual cooking.

Total cost: approx $10

Total preparation time: approx 5 mins

Total cooking time: Approx 30 mins

Please make sure to prepare all ingredients in advance, there is nothing worse than burning a meal because you weren't ready for it.

Ingredients used:

2 continential pasta packets,

1 cup of water,

1.5 cups of milk,

1 tablespoon of butter

2 potatoes, diced in pieces no bigger than 1cm.

1 can creamed corn

500g of tuna, broken up into small pieces and drained

250g of cheese, grated

1 tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce

*note* The first four steps are based on the packet's instructions.

1. First boil the milk. I made this step first, because I wanted to remove any bacteria in the food before I ate it.

2. As soon as it boils, stir a little, then add water.

3. When the mix is boiling again, add butter, stirring until it's melted into the mixture enough not to be a solid clump

4. Add the packet mix, turning the stove top to low, and stirring frequently until the mixture thickens up

5. This is where I got creative. I waited until it was most ly cooked, just about ready to serve, ((you can test this by pulling out a piece of pasta and eating it. if it's soft, not chewy or crunchy, it's good and ready.)) I then added the diced potatoes.

6. Slowly stir in the grated cheese.

7. add the can of creamed corn. This will make the mixture sweet and more runny if you're not careful, don't add water unless it's about to burn.

8. Add the tuna in, and stir repeatedly until all is mixed in well.

9. Turn the stove off to let it cool down. add parsely for decorations, and a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce for a touch of flavour.

This can go as a side dish as it's a bit runny, but it's still edible as a main course. I had enough for 5 meals, but that depends on the person's appetite.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby Wererstritchy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:59 pm

Pizza time!

That's right, this time I have a hankering for pizza, not any old pizza, home made pizza!

Concerned furry: "But Stritchy! A whole pizza is too much for you!"

Hmm, I guess you're right, time to do some experimentation!

This will be designed so that it has one method by which to cook it, and many different ingredients to work with. Basically, this recipe is a 'make it yourself' style.

First, get english muffins, toast them slightly in a toaster, or a grill if you prefer.

Second, get your base sauce, spread it across the surface of your toasted english muffin.

Third, add your preferred toppings (meat, vegetables, cheese, spices, etc)

Fourth, insert into microwave or oven, if Microwave, cook for a few minutes (or if applicable, when the cheese melts) if in the Oven, cook for about four-five minutes, (or if applicable when the cheese melts)

Five, enjoy the pizza that took less than 10 minutes to make.

My favourite styles are as below:

Bbq chicken Hawaiian:

BBQ sauce,

chicken

pineapple

onion

cinnamon

cheese

Chilli beef deluxe:

Chilli sauce

minced beef

onion

capsicum

chilli

paprika

cheese

Vege supreme:

Tomato paste

capsicum

red onion

pineapple

olive

cherry tomato

The 'in a rush':

Tomato paste

Minced meat

cheese

These are just a few, I've given you the door and the key, now you just need to unlock amazing.

Happy pizza making!
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks man, you're saving my life I swear, If I see yah at FurDu please teach me your wonderful ways Chief stritchy!