Job searching

For anything that refuses to fit anywhere else!
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Goat

Job searching

Postby Wererstritchy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:38 am

This topic came up recently when I wanted to change jobs.

Now, a bit of history, I've worked in fast food for 5-6 years, and now work in a bank. I have recently tried to apply for a low-skill role doing like air-traffic control for phone calls and order, which gets me with administration duties.

My question is, how do you know when there's a job out there you can apply for, despite lacking qualifications to do so?
Talinart
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Lynx

Re: Job searching

Postby Talinart » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:14 pm

My only advice is to keep your eyes open everywhere you go as you never know where the next opportunity will come from.
A lot of companies (even large multinationals) still advertise through their own websites or branch offices rather then use 3rd-party employment websites or the newspaper.
As for "lacking qualifications", this can be tricky. Quite a few businesses are more interested in an interviewee's potential rather then their qualifications or level of experience. But finding those employers is purely trial and error.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Goat

Postby Wererstritchy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:46 am

Job hunting is hard when you're older. It really pays to get some skills early. The moment you get into the job force, look for a traineeship or apprenticeship. You at least have a skilled job.

I gave up my apprenticeship because I didn't like it, same for my traineeship, I was also offered a traineeship in insurance and gave that up. The only qualification to my name at this current stage is a cert 2 in food retail from a fast food place.

Get some qualification.

If you like cooking, become a chef, if you like organising people, train in management. If you like customers, do something there.

Find something you like, explore, and get trained up in that area guys!
DinxoFoxx
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Vulpes vulpes

Postby DinxoFoxx » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:03 pm

Right now I'm in a similar position, I've been working for a bank for close to 5 years now and I'm currently looking for new work due to new and 'painful' working conditions and expectations.

Finding work in new fields seems to be very difficult as most businesses/employers are looking for already experienced people, but I guess it boils down to showing how you could adapt your skills to a new environment and that's what will get you noticed. When that's the way I see it anyway, I'll let you know how that works out. =P
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: ►Vampire fox

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:33 am

I can get any job and in the past never been declined due to knowing people.
If it be my family or friends they always help me get a job anywhere.

Sadly I don't have any qualification but can get a job despite criminal history & tight bail conditions simply because I know a friend who can help.
Everything you say or do has ripple effects....
Be the change you want to see in the world.