Recommended Anthro game~! (Dust: An Elysian Tail)

For all your gaming needs! Because deep down inside all Furries are gamers!
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: ►Vampire fox

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Thu May 30, 2013 1:38 pm

Hiya, This post is just to do a one off review to add something to the gaming section and to share this fantastic game. Has anyone played this game yet?

You should as it has anthropomorphic animals (Aka furries~!) and is generally great!

*Name: Dust: An Elysian Tail
*Platform(s): Xbox Live Arcade and on steam for $12.
*Genre: Action, RPG.
*Rating: PG-13
*Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MVaAZcxb54

+Pros:
- Adorable characters (Anthro NPC's)
- Incredible story (Maaaasive plot twist at the end.)
- Stunning background and environments
- Controller compatibility
- Some good humor
- Sound track is amazing, achievements and more

- Cons:
- Easy boss fights (Even on the hardest mode)
- Voice acting could've used more work.

*Gameplay and Story:
The player controls the main character, Dust, as he tries to remember his past. Dust wields a sentient sword, the Blade of Ahrah, as his main weapon. Fidget, the sword's guardian, acts as a companion for Dust through out the game..

I can't say much about the story as it will spoil it.. But it is pretty deep and interesting.

The gameplay is pretty straight forward. You need to advance deeper into each level by defeating hordes of monsters that have taken over the country side, while finding treasures and helping villagers (in the form of side quests) as you go.

Dust is always accompanied by Fidget, the cutest little furrie companion that anyone could ask for. She isn’t just for looks though, she can help in fights with her magic.

There is a very simple leveling up system... Get exp from killing monsters or finding treasures.
Anyways, I'm terrible at explaining games, but this is generally one of the best games I've ever played and had to share it because Keio wolf and most of my friends love this game too.

10/10 If you have the spare change buy this gem on steam or xbox, you won't regret it. ^u^
Everything you say or do has ripple effects....
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Butch
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Butch » Thu May 30, 2013 7:15 pm

getting
it
now
XD
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Goat

Postby Wererstritchy » Fri May 31, 2013 1:10 am

Okay, I installed it and gave it a test run. I finished the first chapter already and can give a specs view of what to expect.

The story starts with someone named Dust, who summoned a sword Ahrah unintentionally, and without prior knowledge as to who he is, nor where he is. As you go through the game, you learn about skills in a way that lets you move step by step into the world. It's advised to give some of them a test run, so that when you get to later areas, you know what you can or can't do.

This is a side-scrolling, 2D game that incorperates both animation and 3D effects for attacks, pick-ups and various other things. The keys can take a little bit of getting used to as it's definitely suited for a controller than a keyboard, but still manageable. The story is smooth, the animation is well done with little to no choppy bits that you might see in animated movies.

This also incorporates an incentive to explore, with plenty of opportunity to backtrack where you've been, and to find goodies for enhanced gameplay mechanics.

It's truly a well done game as far as I can tell, the cutscenes are mostly unobtrusive, and don't cause an issue, like monsters moving about and attacking you. The story-line has voice acting that's easy to understand, and enhanced with written dialogue. It's pretty obvious that the dialogue was probably designed with Japanese in mind initially, and was converted to English, which also explains a lot of the style in both animation and fighting.

The animation is not jarring either. The moves are, but the panning of the screen for when your character moves about is not jerky. There is also ample pre-set combo strikes made for the characters, with possibilities of pulling different combos together to perform some original attacks.

Finally, the items, music and environment is freaking awesome.

There are a few cons which are more nitpicky, and generally are hard to add to a game without taking from the gameplay itself. The synchronising of voices to animation could have been done a little better, the animation for crouching could also use a couple of more frames to give the impression that Dust is still alive while crouching.

Overall a fantastic game so far from the first chapter. I do encourage its purchase.
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: ►Vampire fox

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Fri May 31, 2013 7:13 am

^ That's quite a fantastic review just from the first chapter Wererstritchy.
Though i must say it's always great that you can skip cutsceans~!

It's always a pet peeve of mine when you can't skip the talking in games.
(Especially after you've finished the game.)

But yeah, when you get the time to finish this game, tell me what you thought about the ending~!

Thanks for putting part of the story down for others to understand more..
Yet again sorry for not writing out the story but I do not want to spoil anything. x'P
Everything you say or do has ripple effects....
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby Wererstritchy » Fri May 31, 2013 11:46 am

It's okay.
SadiusHunter
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Sergal

Postby SadiusHunter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:42 pm

It was definitely worth my money, although I never got around to finishing it
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian

Postby Wererstritchy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:37 am

You should give it a shot to finish it. Even if you do, you can always try to get achievements as well.

Where most of your money goes is for the journey, though, not the end. So enjoy the game. It's a very nice game in my opinion with all the sight-seeing and exploration