Armello, anyone?

For all your gaming needs! Because deep down inside all Furries are gamers!
Bede
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Fox

Armello, anyone?

Postby Bede » Sun May 15, 2016 10:21 pm

Armello is an Australian-made furry tabletop game that can be played with up to four players.

(I'm not confident enough to write my own description of the game so here's a copy paste from the Steam description...)
Armello is a grand swashbuckling adventure that combines three styles of play; The deep tactics of card games with the rich strategy of table top board games, combined with a character role-playing system.
As a hero from one of the clans of Armello, you'll quest, scheme, hire agents, explore, vanquish monsters, cast spells and face off against other players, with one ultimate end goal in mind — storming the palace and becoming King or Queen of Armello. The Kingdom of Armello is as dangerous as it is beautiful, perils, banes and bandits hide around every corner and a spreading corruption known as the rot is leaving no creature untouched.
And here is a link to the Armello website.

I enjoy playing this game so I'm up for any discussions.
Slugoil
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Armello, anyone?

Postby Slugoil » Mon May 16, 2016 8:14 am

GONE
Last edited by Slugoil on Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bede
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Bede » Mon May 16, 2016 4:09 pm

Slugoil wrote:Oh my, the game looks beautiful, and it's currently 25% off on Steam! I may look into purchasing it once a couple of refunds go through.

EDIT: And purchased! I am going to give Stellaris a go first before installing Armello.
Yay! I highly recommend doing the prologue since it does a great job of explaining everything you need to know about the game.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Goat

Postby Wererstritchy » Mon May 16, 2016 4:15 pm

I agree with the prologue. I have gotten it, but I've lacked the motivation/time to play it.
snappyfox
King of the Foxes
King of the Foxes
Species: angel fox dragon hybrid

Postby snappyfox » Tue May 17, 2016 9:52 am

I wanna get it had my eye on it for a while
Bede
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Bede » Mon May 30, 2016 8:30 pm

Just gonna put it out there that I'm always up for a game. My steam profile is here as well if you wanna add me. ouo
AustralianChaos
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Apex Dragon/Tigon

Postby AustralianChaos » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:09 pm

I will say for anyone here that doesn't own the game, I personally think the choice of buying it or not comes down to what kind of games you like to play. I mean yes, it's Australian made and more or less furry, but honestly my time with it has been hit and miss.

Being what essentially amounts to a digital board game, you need to find games heavily reliant on RNGs and a good dose of luck appealing. Yes, there is strategy and planning involved, but luck also plays a very large factor, often making or breaking games. I have had games I have quit within the first few turns due to a mix of shoddy card draws, awful dice rolls, and a total inability to reach quest points, left to basically just watch helplessly as the other characters get all the buffs and charge through anything that gets in their way with near-impunity, while my character remains weak and powerless. (Such incidents are actually why I avoid roguelike games such as FTL and Binding of Isaac nowdays, I find them more frustrating than they're worth)

Don't take this to mean I don't like Armello, though. Far from it, the game is beautiful, visuals and artwork really making the world come alive, which is impressive given the fact it's board tiles and game cards. The gameplay is solid, and the developers seem to be churning out updates and teasing new content with good regularity. I just wanted to point out that, for all of it's appeal, especially to us Aussie furries, this game is definitely not for everyone out there, and can swing from entertaining to frustrating in a heartbeat at the whim of the RNG gods.

To put it more simply...if you love your strategic board games, you'll love this.I usually hate RNG-reliant games with a passion. But Armello is a rare exception to the trend. I'm still yet to figure out exactly why that is. Maybe it's just the solid gameplay and strategy laying underneath the fickle RNG generators keeping it from getting too luck-based. Maybe it's the way how even when you don't win, you don't seem to feel like you lose (this game does emphasize rewarding participation as well as victory). Maybe it's that constantly playing through some frustrating times have either seen my play-style smarten up...or else desensitize me to the frustration of a game where nothing goes your way. Or maybe it's just that I'm a Victorian furry and I'm struck by some sense of odd pride. But this game to me is a great addition to my Steam library.

Well, didn't exactly intend to leave such a big post when I started this, but there you go, my two cents on the game. I go by "Australian Chaos" on Steam if anyone wants to friend me for a game, be it of Armello or something else. (I have Age of Empires II, Civ V, DOOM, GTA V, and Stellaris, among several others from a multiplayer standpoint, though I confess I tend to avoid the multiplayer aspects of most games and am definitely not the most skilled out there at all).