IRC

Red
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Fox

Re: IRC

Postby Red » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:12 am

Just giving a heads up that #melbournefurs has been revived by me (it has been active for 6 to 8 months now) and now holds a small mostly active online community of 20 to 25 people. Feel free to drop around if happen to live in Melbourne, but even if you are not from Melbourne, you are still very much welcomed to pop in and say hi!

Fozzaroo.
Red
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Fox

IRC

Postby Red » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:12 am

Just giving a heads up that #melbournefurs has been revived by me (it has been active for 6 to 8 months now) and now holds a small mostly active online community of 20 to 25 people. Feel free to drop around if happen to live in Melbourne, but even if you are not from Melbourne, you are still very much welcomed to pop in and say hi!

Fozzaroo.
Spheniscine
Newcomer
Newcomer

IRC

Postby Spheniscine » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:43 pm

I'm having huge trouble connecting. Problem is, I have no idea why, but my computer can't connect to most IRC servers on any client other than Mibbit. But Furnet has banned Mibbit...

edit: Found a way to connect. I had to use the SSL certificate as mentioned in here.
CuriousDragon
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Dragon

IRC

Postby CuriousDragon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:18 pm

So is this still a thing?
Talinart
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Lynx

IRC

Postby Talinart » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:42 pm

Yes, IRC is still a thing :P
It's free, there is a client available on most devices, and there a quite a few active users from around the world.
Why not try it, the more the merrier.
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: ►Vampire fox

IRC

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:39 pm

IRC seems so confusing, it always goes over my head every time someone tries to explain it to me.

Is it any good? Or should I just stick to skype.

IRC︵‿

. ☻

/▌\

/ \
Everything you say or do has ripple effects....
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Talinart
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Lynx

IRC

Postby Talinart » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:37 pm

IRC is just another method of undertaking a text chat with other users. There isn't anything particularly amazing about it; it's an old protocol, so it is rather limited in its functionality. If learning the commands seems a bit daunting, most recent IRC clients have options that automate the most common commands and there is no shortage of guides on the Internet to help out if you get lost.

So should you try IRC?

Well, if your contacts are all on Skype and you're comfortable with that system, you may not get any benefit from using IRC. But if you want to try out IRC, grab a client and have a crack at it - it's free after all.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Goat

IRC

Postby Wererstritchy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:22 pm

How IRC works is instead of talking directly to a people, or a group of people, you go join a channel which people can join or create for their own needs. There are more complex commands on how channels work but for now, overlook them. It's like walking into a conversation, you enter, and you hear the conversation, and everyone can see you're there. You leave, you can't hear the conversation anymore.

There are three commands that are good to know. These provide the basic functionality you need to get everywhere on an IRC server. To actually set up to connect to a server, you'll need the information for that particular server first. If you need help, I'll actually come help you get it all in.

Commands are as follows:

/join #[insert room name here]

(This joins to particular channels)

/leave #[insert room name here]

(This leaves the particlar channel)

and

/nick [insert nickname here]

(changes your nickname on the server)
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: ►Vampire fox

IRC

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:33 pm

After alot of tutorials on YouTube (and a few of my best cuss words) I finally got it all sorted out.

I must admit it's real neat! Thanks guys. :'3
Everything you say or do has ripple effects....
Be the change you want to see in the world.
KaiAdin
Newcomer
Newcomer
Species: Housekitty

Re: IRC

Postby KaiAdin » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:37 pm

Just a random heads up that #SydFurs is active(ish) as well.. so AFAIK theres 4 channels now a days for AU fuzzies on furnet, #Ozfurs, #Perthfurs, #Melbournefurs and #Sydfurs