Little known toon trivias

Sebastian
Furstralian Fanatic
Furstralian Fanatic
Species: wallaby/chameleon hybrid

Postby Sebastian » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:00 am

I thought I'd start this thread for people to post obscure details about cartoons and their characters, both old and new.

Today's note was actually brought up by someone at work - Quick Draw McGraw, the titular character of the Hanna-Barbera cartoon, was an anthromorphic horse. In the opening sequence of his show he is shown driving a stagecoach. What not many people realise is that the stagecoach is being pulled by a set of non-anthromorphic horses. Distant relatives?
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: ►Vampire fox

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Felix the cat was a cartoon character created in the silent, black and white film era and became very popular and is still to this day (But now he is in color and has a voice). But little known fact, He first appeared on 9 November 1919 in Feline Follies!!

Also in the late 1920s, the U.S. Navy's Bombing Squadron Two (VB-2B) adopted a unit insignia consisting of Felix happily carrying a bomb with a burning fuse. They retained the insignia through the 1930s when they became a fighter squadron under the designations VF-6B and, later, VF-3, whose members Edward O'Hare and John Thach became famous naval aviators in World War II. After the world war a U.S. Navy fighter squadron currently designated VFA-31 replaced its winged meat-cleaver logo with the same insignia! (Also this insignia is still seen in some places to this day. )

The U.S. Navy insignia for the VF-31 squadron from 1948

Felix on the tail of an airplane now at the Evergreen Aviation Museum.

Everything you say or do has ripple effects....
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Sebastian
Furstralian Fanatic
Furstralian Fanatic
Species: wallaby/chameleon hybrid

Postby Sebastian » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:24 pm

I love it! I'm familiar with Felix; he was reguarly broadcast on morning TV when I was in kindergarten. By then he had a voice, but was still in black & white.

Here's another one. The Lockheed Martin’s Advanced Development Programs has the nickname Skunk Works and a toon skunk on the side of the building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_Works

Although I haven't actually been able to find out why the aircraft works adopted a sunk as their trademark.