A London zoo bans animal-print clothing

Postby Sebastian » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:00 pm

It makes sense to me.

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/fashion/t ... -clothing/

Article Text:
========

25th September, 2013, 3:45pm Alistair Jedlin Yahoo!7 news

Wild animals are not a fan of this season's latest fashion trend.

Chessington Park Zoo in South West London has banned animal print clothing amid concerns it confuses the animals.
In this zero tolerance policy the zoo has hired "Animal Print Bouncers" to enforce the ban as experts say that one of this seasons hottest fashion trends confuses the zoo’s residents: the colour and pattern triggers their primal instincts.

This has been exacerbated by a new initiative called "ZUFARI: Ride into Africa" which allows visitors to partake in off-road adventures where they are able to get up close to animals as a part of safari-styled tours.

Park spokesperson Natalie Dilloway said, "Visitors get so close to wild species that if someone wears the same pattern to the animal’s coat they can become over friendly. If they were the same pattern as their predator, it has the opposite effect and the animal become afraid and run away."

The ban, believed to be the only one of its kind in the world, means that people are no longer able to visit the zoo wearing zebra, giraffe, leopard and African wild dog prints as are all set to be banned. Those who violate these rules will be given Chessington Park-themed grey boiler suits to wear during their visit.

The Chessington Zoo opened in 1987 and attracts nearly 1.5 million people annually and has enforced the ban across the entire resort including the theme park, hotel and Sea Life Centre.
FoxTailedCritter
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: ►Vampire fox

Postby FoxTailedCritter » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:36 pm

It does make some sense to me too, but i wonder what they mean when they said
"they can become over friendly." OuO

Either way the "Chessington Park-themed grey boiler suits" sounds terrible, i would never wear that.. x'3
Everything you say or do has ripple effects....
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Wererstritchy
Furstralian
Furstralian
Species: Goat

Postby Wererstritchy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:25 pm

It would definitely encourage you not to bring in animal patterned clothing. Another tip I've found, is to wear clothing similar colours to the staff, animals become more open and about.
Sebastian
Furstralian Fanatic
Furstralian Fanatic
Species: wallaby/chameleon hybrid

Postby Sebastian » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:22 pm

It does make some sense to me too, but i wonder what they mean when they said
"they can become over friendly." OuO[/quote]Possibly that the animal may try to scent mark you... or worse. ;)